Compressor won’t stay running.

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

JohnHere
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: Compressor won’t stay running.

Post by JohnHere »

I don't think you mentioned whether your truck has automatic climate control. Regardless, the following procedure has reportedly worked to reset the A/C for some owners of these trucks, and it might work for you as well. It's worth a try, anyway.

Turn off the A/C and radio, as well as the engine and the ignition switch. Open the fuse and relay box under the hood (usually on the driver's side) and pull out the 10-amp fuse marked HVAC/ECAS. Leave the fuse out for about two minutes, then reinstall it. Don't start the engine or turn on the ignition and A/C just yet.

You should now hear the amplifier (or electronic control module--ECM) under the dash going through cycles as it resets itself.

Once this sequence completes, start the engine, turn on the A/C, and see what happens. It might take a few tries at this to reset the system so that the compressor runs the way it should.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Dgreen

Post by Dgreen »

Thanks, I will give that a try. It does have auto climate control.
I had tried removing that fuse, but I didnt know the rest of the procedure.
Dgreen

Post by Dgreen »

This was a friends father in laws truck. He said he put in a new relay for the ac and it started working. I change out the relay when I had it with another relay from his fuse panel. Didn’t work for me. I wonder if the auto ac just finally reset itself?

Thanks for all the help!