Cleaning Connections

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

mytown
Read the full article

Cleaning Connections

Post by mytown »

Pretty sure the refrigerant leak on my '97 Venture was coming from one or the other ports on top of my compressor. I've cleaned the one on the left with a bass wire brush, haven't touched the one on the right. Ready to install the seals, but looking at the ports I'm wondering if it is possible for them to be too far gone to seal?
Another view of the left port:
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: Cleaning Connections

Post by JohnHere »

If they're not badly pitted, the joints should seal okay with a good cleaning like you did on one already, plus new o-rings. Be sure to keep any debris out of the ports and hoses. To ensure a nice tight seal, put a little Nylog Blue Label (available from this site's sponsor) on each o-ring prior to reassembly.

A 21-year-old vehicle like yours could be leaking refrigerant elsewhere, too. Add a little UV dye to the system before recharging it in case you have to track down any additional leaks.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
mytown

Post by mytown »

JohnHere wrote:If they're not badly pitted, the joints should seal okay with a good cleaning like you did on one already, plus new o-rings. Be sure to keep any debris out of the ports and hoses. To ensure a nice tight seal, put a little Nylog Blue Label (available from this site's sponsor) on each o-ring prior to reassembly.

A 21-year-old vehicle like yours could be leaking refrigerant elsewhere, too. Add a little UV dye to the system before recharging it in case you have to track down any additional leaks.
Cleaned up fairly well with a dremel tool. Can't say a little dust didn't get into to ports but was as careful as space would allow:

I'd used the uv dye prior and it appears the rings at the compressor are the only ones leaking, possibly only the one on the left but it was leaking badly, refrigerant remained only a few days after a charge:
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Looking real good. Put a shop-vac nozzle up to the ports to suck out any debris that might have gotten in there. I'd also apply a little Nylog to those o-rings just before re-assembly, and you should be all set. I hope there are no leaks anyplace else.

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

New o-rings, that is.

mytown

Post by mytown »

My efforts did not survive the winter. I discovered additional leaks coming from the auxiliary unit in the back of the van. Bought replacement evaporator and expansion valve and o-rings but after coming across fittings designed to block off the tubes going to the auxiliary unit and seeing how much work it would be to repair said unit, I opted to use the fittings. Been working fine for a month or so. No indication of any leaks. Would've liked to have the additional cooling capacity but still glad I chose to go the way I did. There is a lot of disassembly involved in order to replace the evaporator on the '97 Venture, not a simple pull and replace, all done while bending over the rear bumper and rolling around in the back of the van. Rather not mention my age :shock: (or weight!) I would say the cooling is now adequate to good.