Compressor engages, then doesn't for the rest of the day

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

EliSky
Read the full article

Compressor engages, then doesn't for the rest of the day

Post by EliSky »

My compressor engages the first time I turn on the vehicle that day and sometimes randomly throughout the day then disengages. I checked the voltage coming to the compressor when it engages and when it doesn't engage, it reads 14 volts in both scenarios.

The question is, is my compressor really bad or are there other possible issues??? I'm just confused why it turns on then off while I still have voltage coming to the compressor. Maybe there is moisture that freezes with time? But why sensors don't turn of the voltage to the compressor? Brand new pressure switch is installed because I thought that was the initial problem.

So freon levels are normal, fans engage, reley/fuses are all good.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: Compressor engages, then doesn't for the rest of the day

Post by JohnHere »

Right off the bat it sounds to me like a clutch problem. The coil could be gradually failing or the clutch gap might be too wide.

What vehicle is this and what year?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
EliSky

Post by EliSky »

Thanks for your input. I was guessing it's the compressor as well but not confident in my diagnosis. It's a 2007 Escalade EXT.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

JohnHere wrote:Right off the bat it sounds to me like a clutch problem. The coil could be gradually failing or the clutch gap might be too wide.
That's exactly what I was thinking if it's getting 12-14 volts at the compressor clutch and not engaging. Not much else it could be except oily residue on the AC clutch.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Don't forget that you can replace just the clutch assembly. You don't have to replace the entire compressor, which is probably still in good working condition.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Check & adjust the clutch gap.

After 10 years of cycling it is too wide. It will pull in once when the coil is cold. As soon as things are warm, it will not pull in again.

Check the gap when the engine is cold - no sense working around a hot engine to take static measurements.

Any gap over .025 is trouble. Use a feeler gauge. No feeler gauge? Use a couple of business cards. No business cars? Use a piece of that flimsy cardboard all K-Cups come packed in - it is .017 thick.

Autozone loans the toos to adjust the gap. Or have a mechanic do it.
EliSky

Post by EliSky »

Thank you all for responses and guidence. Will be checking the Gap and probably readjusting the clutch. Tomorrow will be 108 degrees so hoping to get it fixed :D