Bad clutch or what?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

PatrickDayne
Read the full article

Bad clutch or what?

Post by PatrickDayne »

I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. Air only blows hot. I need to know if the clutch is bad. Here’s what I’ve done to troubleshoot:

-Replaced low pressure switch located on accumulator and checked voltage while car is running and ac is on high. Voltage is 4.8v
-Replaced oriface tube
-Vacuumed system and replaced as much freon as I could (almost 3 x 12oz cans) With everything running the pressures are about 100psi on low and high side
-Checked voltage with everything running at clutch and voltage reads 13.8volts, but clutch wont engage.

Does this gaurantee my clutch is bad since I have 13.8v when ac is on high and truck running, and it wont engage?
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Bad clutch or what?

Post by Cusser »

PatrickDayne wrote:I have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. Air only blows hot. I need to know if the clutch is bad. Here’s what I’ve done to troubleshoot:
Checked voltage with everything running at clutch and voltage reads 13.8volts, but clutch wont engage.

Does this gaurantee my clutch is bad since I have 13.8v when ac is on high and truck running, and it wont engage?
Somewhat, this is the key information, the other stuff you did is irrelevant. But might just be the clutch gap, might need a spacer/shim removed. With everything off, did you measure the ohms resistance across the AC clutch? Infinite is bad, zero resistance is grounded. If memory serves, resistance should be somewhere like 4 to 15 ohms??? Someone will correct me !