No Pressure after refill ?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

Ihope4uus
Read the full article

No Pressure after refill ?

Post by Ihope4uus »

Have a 1994 Camry V6. Installed new expansion valve and receiver dryer. Put in correct amount of 134A -1.98lbs . Compressor cycled somewhat. My gauges show no pressure at all. System was vacuumed prior to refill. 7.0 ounces of oil was added. Now compressor won't cycle at all. I jump it on and still nothing on gauges. Depress bleeder valves high or low and nothing at ALL escapes as if no refrigerant went in. It did...I have three empty cans to prove it. None escaped while filling system either. For a newbie at this I'm way confused. What am I missing..... way, way frustrated. Any help is appreciated. Thanks ! :roll:
mk378

Re: No Pressure after refill ?

Post by mk378 »

It must have leaked out as fast as you put it in. That can happen if you pinch/cut an o-ring or forget the o-ring entirely.

Did you use a vacuum pump? You have to pull a vacuum get the air out before charging. If you run a mixture of refrigerant and air, performance decreases a lot. Also, seeing if the system will hold vacuum is an opportunity to tell if there is a major leak.
Ihope4uus

Post by Ihope4uus »

mk378 wrote:It must have leaked out as fast as you put it in. That can happen if you pinch/cut an o-ring or forget the o-ring entirely.

Did you use a vacuum pump? You have to pull a vacuum get the air out before charging. If you run a mixture of refrigerant and air, performance decreases a lot. Also, seeing if the system will hold vacuum is an opportunity to tell if there is a major leak.
Yep! vacuumed it prior. It only went to -10 though. It held there after 1 hour after shutdown. Saw no signs of leakage anywhere. I also have dye in system. No traces of that seepage.
Jag987

Post by Jag987 »

I have had orings/connections hold vacuum, but leak as soon as I started charging them. Only showing 10 on the vacuum should raise some questions even if it holds there.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!
Ihope4uus

Post by Ihope4uus »

Jag987 wrote:I have had orings/connections hold vacuum, but leak as soon as I started charging them. Only showing 10 on the vacuum should raise some questions even if it holds there.
Since I'm not getting anything when I depress the bleeders, I Think I'll remove the connection on the top of the dryer and see what happens. :o