12 Volt Auto AC unit Custom Hookup

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

thereverend
Read the full article

12 Volt Auto AC unit Custom Hookup

Post by thereverend »

I am trying to build a custom setup for AC in a truck sleeper berth. I want to use a 12 VOLT motor to turn an AUTO ac compressor. I figured a 3HP motor would work to do this. Any ideas on how long this motor would run on a Deep Cycle Marine battery under load from the compressor? Thank you
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Re: 12 Volt Auto AC unit Custom Hookup

Post by GM Tech »

About 12 minutes....
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Here ya go:

https://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/SH ... essor-6613

About an hour of run time on a group 31 battery to 50% DoD. And 6k btu/h
Jag987

Post by Jag987 »

Maybe a setup like this would work for you...Image

This idea and topic have been discussed many times here on the old server. An electric motor just takes too much power to be run off a battery for any length of time. I personally think a generator and a 110v unit like in the picture would be the best bet. That would be if there was a place for the generator and the Ac unit could be installed better.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!
thereverend

Post by thereverend »

Is there any set up that would give me at least 8 hours run time on some type of setup. The Electric AC compressor looks interesting. Almost like it belongs to a Fridge in your house. Heck I wonder if something like that might even work. I am looking for something I can Implement for under $500. Not being cheap just don't have the cash flow. Any ideas would be great.. Thanks in advance.
thereverend

Post by thereverend »

What about hooking up a Toyota Prius Electric AC Compressor? Any ideas how long something like that would run on a battery 12 volt. Also how you would hook it up?
mk378

Post by mk378 »

Hybrid cars have a large lithium ion battery that puts out high voltage for the traction motor and A/C compressor. There is also a standard 12 volt battery involved but it is only to even out the 12 volt power bus (which runs small things like the lights, radio and wipers) and to cold-start the whole system if the hybrid battery is flat.
thereverend

Post by thereverend »

Gotcha. I am trying so hard to come up with something outside of a ICE chest with fan in it that would work for like 1 hour. I can put a bank of 4 batteries in the truck if needed. I can't really do a generator as I do not want to have to worry about Carbon Monoxide or noise disturbing people so. I need to come up with a good solution. Do you think a AC compressor from a car takes up 3hp to run it? or will it work with less?

mk378 wrote:Hybrid cars have a large battery that puts out high voltage for the traction motor and A/C compressor. There is also a standard 12 volt battery involved but it is only to even out the 12 volt power bus (which runs small things like the lights, radio and wipers) and to cold-start the whole system if the hybrid battery is flat.
thereverend

Post by thereverend »

How about a hook up where I run a 12 volt motor on a pully to a ac compressor ?? Do you guys think that might work and what type of HP do you think an AC compressor for a car takes? I know i asked this in the last post but I am starting to hear from Garages that 3hp is a bit much to run an AC pump.. What are your thoughts? Anyone ever done anything like this?