2000 Dodge Dakota with intermittent A/C issue

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

sunrise7
Read the full article

2000 Dodge Dakota with intermittent A/C issue

Post by sunrise7 »

So here is the condition:
1. First turn on ac, works fine... at 87F ambient, lowside = 28 to 30 psi, highside = 195 to 205psi, blows 58 to 60F air into truck.
2. After running ac for about 10 minutes if you turn it Off, then wait 2 or 3 minutes and turn it back On, compressor clutch does
not engage and there is NO ac.
3. If you turn the ac Off and turn truck engine Off and wait 10 to 15 minutes, then restart truck works fine again.

One Other symptom I have had is when I turn it on, it comes on blows cold air for about 5 minutes then starts blowing warm then hot air.
If I turn it off and leave it off for 5 to 10 minutes then turn it back on it usually does the same thing again. Compressor obviously does work,, but what component(s) in the system might be suspect with this type of operation ? Thanks .....
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: 2000 Dodge Dakota with intermittent A/C issue

Post by Cusser »

I'd check the fan clutch or electric fans for the condenser first.
sunrise7

Post by sunrise7 »

Cusser wrote:I'd check the fan clutch or electric fans for the condenser first.
Thanks Cusser, I will check that once in cools off here in the Central Valley of CA.
There is no eFan on the 2000 model.
Weird thing is even at highway speeds, if I turn the ac on it only blows cold air for about 5 minutes then goes warm.
Maybe there's some water in the system and it freezes ...
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

It's possible that your AC clutch is slipping as it gets hot; when not working, maybe pull over, leave AC and engine on, and take a look at the center part of the AC compressor, see if that's turning.

The AC clutch gap can increase as things wear, and can be adjusted on most compressors. On my '88 Mazda truck; intermittent clutch slippage was due to the shaft nut becoming a little loose, simple fix once discovered.

It's also possible that something electrical is shutting off the positive voltage to your AC clutch, like a thermal limiter, high pressure switch, ECU, etc.
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Post by GM Tech »

ditto on air gap scenario- does clutch turn when a/c goes inop?