VW GTI AC Compressor Groan

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

dub*man
Read the full article

VW GTI AC Compressor Groan

Post by dub*man »

Hi all!

Im having issues with the AC in my 11' Volkswagen GTI.

I had some intermit cooling issues with the system, had the system evacuated and put in R12a (Duracool). That worked great for about a year and now my cooling issues are back. I think that the refrigerant control valve is likely the culprit of these cooling issues.

Before switching out to R12a my compressor started making a groaning noise that's been getting louder and louder, but never under full load. Only when the climate control system starts regulating temperature inside the cabin do you start hearing this groaning noise that changes with RPMs. It almost sounds like a PS pump that's low on oil. (see attached video) It's gotten pretty bad.. The video doesn't properly capture the sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Zimv- ... e=youtu.be

My plan of attack is to:
1.flush system
2.replace RCV
3. and top off system oil

I can handle the first 2 but have no idea on how to go about the oil. Can anyone point me in the right direction to service the compressor oil? Any help at all would be appreciated.

TIA!
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: VW GTI AC Compressor Groan

Post by Cusser »

Why on earth would you change refrigerant from R134a, doesn't make sense to me???
jeepsj

Post by jeepsj »

R12a is a mixture of propane and butane. Why would anyone want to charge their A/C system with something that flammable?
99 Jeep XJ
87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 6.5 turbodiesel
87 Chevy CC Dually
Jag987

Post by Jag987 »

Cusser wrote:Why on earth would you change refrigerant from R134a, doesn't make sense to me???
My guess is that this person is in Canada where 134 cannot be purchased without a lisence.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Would be interesting to see how the control valve operates with the proper charge of each refrigerant.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum