Knock off compressor

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

ice-n-tropics
Read the full article

Knock off compressor

Post by ice-n-tropics »

Tim ol leader of our "band of brothers",
My bride of 48 years has a bone to pick with you:
The Vistion/Halla Korean knock off you supplied is abnormally cold and in addition I miss knowing for sure that the clutch is engaged because I had become accustomed to hearing the engagements and running growl of the OEM DENSO. But, installation was flawless.
hotrodac
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Knock off compressor

Post by Tim »

ice-n-tropics wrote:Tim ol leader of our "band of brothers",
My bride of 48 years has a bone to pick with you:
The Vistion/Halla Korean knock off you supplied is abnormally cold and in addition I miss knowing for sure that the clutch is engaged because I had become accustomed to hearing the engagements and running growl of the OEM DENSO. But, installation was flawless.
hotrodac
Add some Ice32 and sealer to it. Then it will soon sound like your old compressor.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Tim, I can make him a kit to put a 4-siezen's rebuilt R4 on it - that should restore all noise functions.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

bohica2xo wrote:Tim, I can make him a kit to put a 4-siezen's rebuilt R4 on it - that should restore all noise functions.
Why go through all that. Just send him a couple cans of black spray paint and install the old one. :lol:

Help Support the Forum
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

You're brutal. Is that gloss paint or satin finish? :lol:
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Dougflas wrote:You're brutal. Is that gloss paint or satin finish? :lol:
Matte.

Help Support the Forum
ice-n-tropics

Post by ice-n-tropics »

Brad,
4-seizen's can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (pig's ears are just dog food).
The 4 high torque peaks of the R-4 per revolution are not forgiving of border line machining and assembly spec's. DELCO/Harrison design and OEM application are the basic root cause of much of the vibration and noise associated with the R-4.
4-seizen's tries to minimize early seizure or high torque clutch burn by charging the crankcase with 2 oz. of mineral oil to overcome high friction and borderline machining until break in progresses, therefore do not drain the crankcase. The mineral oil is not miscible with R-134a, therefore, it only very slowly leaves the crankcase where it then insulates the primary heat exchange surfaces of the heat absorber and heat dissipator, eventually decreasing A/C performance only a couple of degrees, while the R-4 limps along.
Hint for success:
When first starting any replacement compressor, it is prudent to burnish the clutch by engaging the compressor clutch 25+ times momentarily at idle to increase the amount of contact area and properties of the surface finish of the friction surfaces, which results in higher locked rotor torque. Worse case scenario is to rev it up without ram air and engage the clutch.
Tim,
Your stuff is first prize.
hotrodac
Last edited by ice-n-tropics on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Hotrod, that came from Nevada. Best people as far as honoring any warranty issues. Be very pleased with their imports for years now.

Help Support the Forum
ice-n-tropics

Post by ice-n-tropics »

Tim,
Please forward my posts and discuss with them OFI (opportunity for improvement) to include a note on amount of lub in crankcase.

hotrodac
"How to Air Condition Your Hot Rod"
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Hog Killer:

The R4 makes a fine anchor for small craft - better if you weld a few together.

I could have recommended an HR980...

In the last 20 years high speed machining has really moved forward. We are at the point of taking repeatability in the 50 Millionths range for granted.

Cutter grinding & finishing has become exponentially more refined. Surface finishes are far better at the microscopic level. When I look at an NOS end mill from 25 years ago under the microscope today I just shake my head.

Very high quality machined parts are within reach for any industry - no surprise that new compressors are that good. The vendor just has to demand the higher standard and take steps to insure they get it every time.

Heck, even the 210 is a far better unit than it was 30 years ago.