Another Ford Ranger AC Issue

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

tbirdtbird
Read the full article

Re: Another Ford Ranger AC Issue

Post by tbirdtbird »

It will be hard to answer any more questions until we have the correct charge on board, only then can the AC function at its maximum. In the meantime, all bets are off. You are putting the cart before the horse.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere

Re: Another Ford Ranger AC Issue

Post by JohnHere »

As a first step, I recommend the same as the comment immediately above.

To my way of thinking, this 2017 model-year truck is still relatively new. But that's not to infer that the refrigerant charge and oil amount are correct. I don't believe we know the repair history (if any) of this system, either. Anything could have been done to it in the past, including adding too much oil and "topping-off" the refrigerant, perhaps grossly overcharging it by someone blissfully ignorant of industry-standard MVAC servicing procedures.

An overcharge of oil or refrigerant, or both, will raise pressures to abnormal levels and compromise cooling.

For now, let's hope (guess) that the oil amount is correct and begin with the obvious: Recover the existing charge; replace the R/D desiccant (kits are available); evacuate for at least a couple of hours down to 500 microns, if possible, depending on the elevation of your locale; and recharge by weight using pure R-134a or R-1234yf (whichever it takes) according to the manufacturer's specifications.

Chemours (DuPont) refrigerants, which are produced in the USA, are known for their purity and high quality. But they might not be available in your country. In any event, I avoid using refrigerants produced in the Asian countries as they often contain unknown refrigerant mixes and harmful additives, such as sealer, which will clog the system and also raise pressures abnormally.

I don't have the refrigerant and oil specs for this vehicle. Hopefully, the under-hood decal that lists them is still in place.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to the Forum.