Blend flap actuator

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

Rekusu
Read the full article

Blend flap actuator

Post by Rekusu »

What ho one and all,

I have an oldish Ford Mondeo Mk3 and recently had an issue with one of the blend flap actuators.

Not totally sure is the actuator is working correctly, but it appears to be. The flap in question directs the air to either the screen or cabin and only moves about 30 degrees. But the actuator, when not attached, rotates about 90 degrees. The issue was that the drive shaft had broken.

I have tried to repair it but the drive shaft has broken again.

Unloaded, the actuator rotates between 5 and 7 o'clock positions searching for presumably the stop position. On the next ignition on cycle, that position moves to 11 to 7 o'clock, and again to 2 to 11, and next, 5 to 2. But the actuator 90 degrees is more than the flap will move.

My question is regarding how to configure the actuator so that it only moves as much as the flap will allow. I have followed the Ford recommended re-calibration and it worked for about two days, but then, the drive shaft broke again.

Grateful if someone can through some calibration enlightenment in my directions.

Many thanks and toodle pip

Rekusu
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: Blend flap actuator

Post by JohnHere »

I'm not familiar with the Australia-spec'd Mondeo, but it sounds like the drive shaft is the weak link in your existing actuator. If available, I would purchase a new actuator from Ford, which is probably already calibrated for your vehicle.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.