how to correctly install peanut style compressor manifolds?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

bren_btw
Read the full article

how to correctly install peanut style compressor manifolds?

Post by bren_btw »

hello,

my system is leaking at the manifold(s) on the compressor. it's a 2004 silverado 4.3 and has the 10s17f compressor. it uses slimline sealing washers. here is a picture of them installed definitely incorrectly by me, and a picture of the washers it uses. is there a trick to get them set up right?

i have nylog even though i've heard the washers don't need lubricant. i've heard also they have to be lined up just right, is there a trick to that? there is very little information about this subject on the internet, any expert help would be appreciated, thanks !!

pictures: https://imgur.com/a/2uGyqwr
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Re: how to correctly install peanut style compressor manifolds?

Post by DetroitAC »

There is no trick I've ever heard of, they are used by OEMs because they are simple, very tolerant of abuse, hard to mess up. If they are leaking, you might have the wrong seal washers or else maybe sealing surfaces on one side or the other is damaged.

If they are the correct SLSW (slimline seal washer) the metal ring portion will be close to the same thickness as the height of the step feature of the peanut.

There isn't any alignment issue, especially with a newer GM fitting. The SLSW should have an ID that is small enough that it grips the pilot feature. On the assembly line the operators need to be able to grab the hose assemblies, shove them in the compressor ports, start the screws, nutrunner tight, takes ~ 30 seconds. Ain't nobody got time for alignment :mrgreen:
bren_btw

Post by bren_btw »

i should have the right washers. i've looked many times double checking the part number. maybe i'm not cranking it down hard enough but i'm scared of messing up the threads. it's all aluminum. I have no idea the torque number, there is just no information anywhere on this stuff.

the sealing surfaces don't look great. i tried cleaning them up with an alcohol swab, maybe it's not good enough. if it's too messed up to mate properly, am i gonna have to get a new compressor and or hoses? i don't know what to do next
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

Torque isn't a big factor with these style connections. It does matter since you have to axial compress the seals, but since the sealing element will expand axially when under pressure, they can sometimes seal with almost finger tight. If you are tightening snug with a wrench, torque isn't the problem.

Take a picture of the compressor surfaces, fitting surfaces, place the SLSW on the compressor port with a straight edge on top of it. SLSW metal portion should be pretty much the same thickness as the step feature. I know you said they "should" be the right SLSW, but how do you know? You are taking them apart makes me think a repair has been performed
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

We had a 2005 Yukon XL with 6.0 engine and I installed a brand-new compressor into that; I believe it had the same type of seals and fittings, and was straightforward to install. The compressor came with new sealing washers.
bren_btw

Post by bren_btw »

thanks, regarding the sealing washers - the compressor in my truck has definitely been replaced, it's labeled dallas compressor works. when i looked up the parts on their site (4s.com), the compressor and the suction/discharge hoses, actually have the part number for the those seals, and those are the ones i have. compressor is part number 78348:
O-Ring "A" Number/Desc:24404 / Slimline Washer O-Ring "A" Quantity:1 O-Ring "B" Number/Desc:24402 / Slimline Washer O-Ring "B" Quantity:1 Suction Port Type:Sealing Washer Switch Type:N/A
I am heading into work but I will be back with pictures later this evening, thanks for the helpful replies. it's looking like i have a really crappy mating surface, maybe i'll super detail both halves tonight while it's apart and try it again
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

4s.com indicates fourseasons sourced, we like to call it four squeezins, they are not known for high quality products. Are you sure it is not a reman? Their remans are not good at all. BTW I live in Texas.
I'd be checking for trueness of the surfaces with a very critical eye.

Those of us on the forum prefer to get parts (sealing washers, compressors, anything) from Tim, the site owner, who has a reputation for good quality parts at fair prices. Some forum users are not aware they can purchase from him. He is in AZ, he has to get it right.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
bren_btw

Post by bren_btw »

Well, howdy neighbor

It could well be a reman, this was all done by the previous owner. It's an 04 silverado 4.3. It never worked right since I got the truck last spring

I'll Def remember this site when it's time to throw more parts at it
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

I'm outside Dallas
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
bren_btw

Post by bren_btw »

Lol nice same here, I live on the Princeton side of lake lavon and work in allen 8-)