Have some problems with Lexus RX350's compressor

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

Ynos13
Read the full article

Have some problems with Lexus RX350's compressor

Post by Ynos13 »

Hi All,
Nearly i have some problems with Lexus RX350 AC. Sudently the compressor doesn't work. i think the compressor is broken. OEM partnumber: 88320-48280.
So i replace this compressor by the new compressor: 447160-7323 -> Denso Japan, Everry things ok,
Pressure: ok
Temperature: ok
But when i after i off the ac, i can start AC again, the clutch ok, electric to the control valve ok but the compressor doesn't work.
i think the new compressor( new 1) have problems so i replace the new 1 by new 2.
Every things the same new 1.
Toyota dealer check all electric: OK
Check expansion valve: ok
Has anyone come across a similar situation? Help me!!
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: Have some problems with Lexus RX350's compressor

Post by JohnHere »

A few questions:
When you say the pressures are okay, what pressures are you seeing on your Manifold Gauge Set under what conditions?
Are you sure that you have re-charged it to the correct weight-of-charge called for by the manufacturer's specs?
How much oil do you have in it?
What is the year of your Lexus?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Ynos13

Post by Ynos13 »

JohnHere wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:27 am A few questions:
When you say the pressures are okay, what pressures are you seeing on your Manifold Gauge Set under what conditions?
Are you sure that you have re-charged it to the correct weight-of-charge called for by the manufacturer's specs?
How much oil do you have in it?
What is the year of your Lexus?
Hi!
Lexus RX350 2014 - USA
i'm a saleman. My customer do that
oil: Use the amount of oil available in the compressor. Checked before use it.
Refregerant: Floron
He said the pressures, i think he right because he have over 20 years in car air conditioner. The firts time he have problem like this.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Is the vehicle located in India? Is that why your customer is using Floron-branded R-134a?

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Ynos13

Post by Ynos13 »

JohnHere wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:15 am Is the vehicle located in India? Is that why your customer is using Floron-branded R-134a?
Not India, in VietNam. I have Denso brand but my customer chose Floron because it cheaper.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

To my knowledge, Floron R-134a isn't available in the USA, but it seems to have a good reputation for purity in India, where it's produced. I'm guessing that it's okay to use as long as it doesn't contain any sealer or other questionable additives. As you might know, sealer, in particular, is very bad for an A/C system and should be avoided.

That said, Lexus vehicles in general have a fairly complex A/C system, and any number of issues or faulty components could cause the compressor not to engage. If the system has been evacuated deeply for at least a couple of hours, is charged to specifications, is leak free, and the equalized static pressures seem correct for the ambient temperature, then my guess is that the problem is electrical.

According to the Lexus A/C manual, this vehicle has a magnetic clutch (not a direct-drive set-up) that engages and disengages the compressor according to commands from the PCM. There are a number of sensors that feed information to the PCM, which then determines when to turn-on and turn-off the compressor. If the PCM doesn't receive the expected input from one or more of the sensors, or if a sensor is defective in some way, the PCM won't turn-on the compressor.

Referring to a wiring diagram, has your customer checked all the fuses, the relay for the magnetic clutch, and the integrity of the wiring from the relay to the connector at the clutch coil? If not, I would begin troubleshooting in those areas.

Ynos13

Post by Ynos13 »

JohnHere wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:23 pm To my knowledge, Floron R-134a isn't available in the USA, but it seems to have a good reputation for purity in India, where it's produced. I'm guessing that it's okay to use as long as it doesn't contain any sealer or other questionable additives. As you might know, sealer, in particular, is very bad for an A/C system and should be avoided.

That said, Lexus vehicles in general have a fairly complex A/C system, and any number of issues or faulty components could cause the compressor not to engage. If the system has been evacuated deeply for at least a couple of hours, is charged to specifications, is leak free, and the equalized static pressures seem correct for the ambient temperature, then my guess is that the problem is electrical.

According to the Lexus A/C manual, this vehicle has a magnetic clutch (not a direct-drive set-up) that engages and disengages the compressor according to commands from the PCM. There are a number of sensors that feed information to the PCM, which then determines when to turn-on and turn-off the compressor. If the PCM doesn't receive the expected input from one or more of the sensors, or if a sensor is defective in some way, the PCM won't turn-on the compressor.

Referring to a wiring diagram, has your customer checked all the fuses, the relay for the magnetic clutch, and the integrity of the wiring from the relay to the connector at the clutch coil? If not, I would begin troubleshooting in those areas.
When starting a second installation with new 1 or new 2 compressor. The magnetic clucth ok, already work but the control valve doesn't work. Unable to charge the refrigerant to the system, compressor doesn't work.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Ynos13 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:50 pm When starting a second installation with new 1 or new 2 compressor. The magnetic clucth ok, already work but the control valve doesn't work. Unable to charge the refrigerant to the system, compressor doesn't work.
Oh, I didn't understand that correctly.

I don't believe that the control valve would prevent refrigerant from flowing into the system. He is an experienced technician, so I won't worry about suggesting this: Has he tried charging liquid through the high side with the engine (and system) turned off? He might be able to get in most or all of the refrigerant that way.

In addition, I would double-check the obvious. Anyone can overlook or forget that. If he's attempting to charge refrigerant gas through the low side, ensure that the charging hoses aren't obstructed, that the Manifold Gauge Set blue hand-wheel is fully open, and the red hand-wheel is fully closed. Verify that the adapter thumb-wheel on the low-side service port is turned fully clockwise to the open position (the red thumb-wheel remains closed), that the refrigerant cylinder valve is open, run the engine at 1,800 RPM, and refrigerant gas should begin flowing into the system with the compressor engaging once the minimum cut-in pressure is reached.