Removed compressor, liquid came out?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

KillerPancake
Read the full article

Removed compressor, liquid came out?

Post by KillerPancake »

And I am not talking about PAG oil - more of a watery consistency, and neon green due to leak tracing dye. Seemed to have some lubricating qualities - seemed to be emulsified with oil. I was expecting <2 oz of PAG oil, but there was more than 2 oz of this.

I don't believe this is normal? :?

The car is a 2014 Trax. I am 3rd owner or so, but overall the AC system appears to have had little service, all parts appearing OEM vintage or at least on there for some time. The system was charged and will hold a charge, not open to atmosphere for any length of time that I've owned it (since March). I was trying to diagnose poor cooling performance and came across this concerning issue and wanted to get some input before going further.

Thanks!
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: Removed compressor, liquid came out?

Post by tbirdtbird »

What else could it be but PAG? It is a very thin oil, and has a rather nasty smell and especially persistent taste if any fumes get near your mouth. Is what you drained cloudy or clear, ignoring the tint of the dye.
I am confused by this statement:
"I was trying to diagnose poor cooling performance "
so the first thing you did was to remove the comp and drain out the oil? None of that is diagnostic.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Disregarding for the moment the reasons for draining the compressor, chances are it's PAG oil, probably 46 viscosity—unless a past owner left a flushing chemical in the system, forgetting to drain it and blow it all out.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

It's a shame you weren't able to post here when the system was all put together and we could have walked you thru a diagnostic stepwise procedure.
Do you have a manifold gauge set and a vacuum pump, and access to pure R134 (no additives whatsoever, and certainly no sealants)
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com