2014 ford f-150 A/C compressor

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Petitt1206
Read the full article

2014 ford f-150 A/C compressor

Post by Petitt1206 »

I have a 2014 Ford F-150 XLT
5.0 V8 Engine
My boss wants me to replace the compressor on this model truck. We purchased a new one and after the system was evacuated I removed the old one. No major hiccups of any kind thus far. Every has gone smooth. I haven't seen any signs of a leak. The lines held a vacuum just fine. I tried to drain the old compressor of oil to see how much I would need to put into my new compressor. The problem is that there was very little to no Pag100 oil coming out. I tried propping it up so that it could collect and drain but still nothing. My question is how much oil would I need to put into my new compressor with nothing to gauge it off of. I have read many different articles and forums and they all vary even with the same vehicle. Any suggestions?
goslo

Re: 2014 ford f-150 A/C compressor

Post by goslo »

Petitt1206 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:12 pm I have a 2014 Ford F-150 XLT
5.0 V8 Engine
My boss wants me to replace the compressor on this model truck. With gauges on, does the pressures rise and fall with throttle inputs? We purchased a new one and after the system was evacuated I removed the old one. No major hiccups of any kind thus far. Every has gone smooth. Guess you already have the new one on. I haven't seen any signs of a leak. The lines held a vacuum just fine. Vacuum testing is not preferred. You need 150psi of shop air or nitrogen preferred to properly find leaks. Why, rubber hoses and the like can seal under vacuum. Positive pressure is the best method. I tried to drain the old compressor of oil to see how much I would need to put into my new compressor. The problem is that there was very little to no Pag100 oil coming out. I tried propping it up so that it could collect and drain but still nothing. My question is how much oil would I need to put into my new compressor with nothing to gauge it off of. Turn the clutch face with your hand while trying to drain oil out. I have read many different articles and forums and they all vary even with the same vehicle. Any suggestions? If you can't get any oil out, don't worry about it. I would be more worried about installing a new drier/receiver, fixing any leaks prior and vacuuming for one hour before charging. Also best to weigh in the charge per your factory spec. Remember vacuum is not the end all test for leak testing. Did your compressor not come with oil or recommend you to add x amount of? No oil inside the new unit? If no oil comes out, I would add 1 ounce and call it good.
Petitt1206

Post by Petitt1206 »

"With gauges on, does the pressures rise and fall with throttle inputs?"
-It did but not dramatically.
"Guess you already have the new one on."
-No I still haven't installed the new one. I didn't want to do that until I knew for sure how much oil was needed. Trying to cause as few problems as possible.
"Vacuum testing is not preferred. You need 150psi of shop air or nitrogen preferred to properly find leaks. Why, rubber hoses and the like can seal under vacuum. Positive pressure is the best method." -This is the first I've heard or read about that. I'm assuming at this stage it's too late to perform this test?
"Turn the clutch face with your hand while trying to drain oil out."
-I tired this. Admittedly not for long just to see if I could get the oil moving out of the compressor but even the couple of minutes I did very little came out.
"If you can't get any oil out, don't worry about it. I would be more worried about installing a new drier/receiver, fixing any leaks prior and vacuuming for one hour before charging. Also best to weigh in the charge per your factory spec. Remember vacuum is not the end all test for leak testing. Did your compressor not come with oil or recommend you to add x amount of? No oil inside the new unit? If no oil comes out, I would add 1 ounce and call it good."
-I haven't changed the drier yet but as soon as I have a vehicle here to run to the parts store I'm on the way. The compressor I bought said that it has 0.8oz of oil in it. I had read an article that said to put 1.4oz into the new compressor. So I measured out 0.6oz to try and match what was in the compressor to what was suggested.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Slow down.
"My boss wants me to replace the compressor on this model truck."
WHY?
What happened to the old comp? If it grenaded, then the condenser is full of compressor debris, and if it is not changed, will destroy your new comp in short order. The hoses from the comp to the condenser and the hose from condenser to the evap will need flushing.
You would also need a new filter drier unless the system has an accumulator

How much oil does the underhood sticker show is required? Is the comp an exact replacement? New, OEM, reman, ??
Tim here at the site runs AMA (ackits.com) and has AC parts and compressors at good prices.
It is likely most of the oil is trapped in the evap

BTW just for the record we never pressure test a system over 100 psi, you can damage the coils, and do not use shop air, it is heavily laden with water vapor. Use dry nitrogen
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Petitt1206 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:12 pm My boss wants me to replace the compressor on this model truck. We purchased a new one and after the system was evacuated I removed the old one.
It appears that this truck has a TXV, and a R/D integral with the condenser.

Did the A/C just stop cooling? If so, what led your boss to deciding to change the compressor?
Petitt1206 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:12 pm I tried to drain the old compressor of oil to see how much I would need to put into my new compressor. The problem is that there was very little to no Pag100 oil coming out.
If the compressor seized (no mention of that), a low charge and lack of lubrication probably caused it. If it did seize, then the condenser and R/D must be replaced and the rest flushed, as mentioned earlier. Has any work been done to the system before you worked on it?
Petitt1206 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:55 pm The compressor I bought said that it has 0.8oz of oil in it. I had read an article that said to put 1.4oz into the new compressor. So I measured out 0.6oz to try and match what was in the compressor to what was suggested.
I don't have the refrigerant and oil specs for this truck readily at hand. Does it have an under-hood decal that gives the specs, as questioned earlier?

Going from memory, I believe that this model truck holds about 3.5 ounces of PAG-46. If so, oil-balancing would yield 1.4 ounces in the compressor, which you've already done. Then, presuming that the following amounts are already in the system: .75 ounces each in the condenser and evaporator—and .5-ounce yet to be added into the R/D—equals 3.4 ounces total, which sounds about right. I seem to recall that it takes 24 ounces of R-134a as well.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.