Replacing the whole system, AGAIN?!

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

TheOdinsdottir
Read the full article

Replacing the whole system, AGAIN?!

Post by TheOdinsdottir »

Hi, I'm new, broke, and looking for answers. Please be kind, my stress can't take it at this point :shock:

So a few months back my ac in my 2014 Subaru xv Crosstrek died. I had the system evacuated, replaced every part by hand, and had it professionally charged.

A couple weeks ago the new compressor died, violently. It started shooting sparks and smoking. I cut the ac off completely and managed to get the serpentine belt running smoothly, and got myself to a shop asap. They told me the compressor was faulty and died. I got the system evacuated, and replaced the compressor, AGAIN. attempted a home recharge with no success, so I took it to a shop yesterday. At this point the car has not had the ac running except to try to recharge since the new compressor was installed. Shop said I have metal shavings in the system and it's trashed the whole thing. I don't have the money to replace everything again, and the company that sold me the busted compressor told me to kick rocks when I said they should cover replacement parts because their part was to blame.

My question is, knowing all that, what are my options? Is there absolutely no way for me to save my system? I have now removed everything accessible from under the hood and it's currently draining into a bucket in my garage.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: Replacing the whole system, AGAIN?!

Post by JohnHere »

Howdy...and welcome. I moved your topic from the Automotive Flushing Forum to the Automotive Air Conditioning Forum.

If I understand correctly, the first new compressor seized, then the second new compressor seized, and the shop reports there are metal shavings in the system and it needs major work again.

The first question that comes to mind—and presuming that you installed all the new parts yourself, Did you put any oil in the system before it was evacuated and re-charged by the shop? There should be an under-hood decal that specifies how much refrigerant and oil the system takes, and what type of each.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I wonder what someone means by "New"?

New = Reman?
New= Wrecking yard
New = eBay special?
New= New OEM?
New= New Import?
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I didn't respond as I have no idea if the condenser or drier was replaced with three compressors, or the lines backflushed....
Last edited by Cusser on Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

or if they added 6 oz of oil each time.

If they destroyed a few "new" compressors. You can bet it was from improper r & r procedures.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
goslo

Post by goslo »

"They told me the compressor was faulty and died." Great detective work on their part LOL.

"and replaced the compressor, AGAIN. attempted a home recharge with no success" Any oil added to the system when all these compressors were swapped out? Hope not. Home recharge meaning a can with the hose and gauge? Not advised to use those.

Sounds like a flush, drier and compressor at a minimum. Good luck with it.