2016 Ford Explorer A/C leak

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Dsherwood
Read the full article

2016 Ford Explorer A/C leak

Post by Dsherwood »

Good Morning,

I have been working a 2016 Ford Explorer with front and rear A/C. I originally found the rear evaporator line leaking. It had oil, dye, and I could see it slightly bubble under pressure. After removing the subframe, and replacing the line I'm still not holding pressure. When I pressurize the system with nitrogen at 30psi I lose about 1 psi per hour. My concern is that when I raise the pressure of the nitrogen to over 36psi I hear it escaping loudly from an outlet on top of the compressor. I'm assuming it is the relief valve, it looks like a little square on the top side of the compressor. I'm putting the nitrogen in from the High side fitting. I was under the impression I should be able to get the psi up to 150 or so if needed. Could anyone help me with some advice???

Thanks in advance!
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: 2016 Ford Explorer A/C leak

Post by Cusser »

Yes, you should be able to go up to 100 psi or so readily - that would be the static pressure of a system. Something is leaking.
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

PRV is on top of that compressor, they tend to never seal again after they pop the first time.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

The OEM lists the PRV separately from the compressor, so it is available from this site's sponsor, ACKITS.com. Contact Tim for the particulars.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.