1985 chevy c20 now second time around with this

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

tbirdtbird
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: 1985 chevy c20 now second time around with this

Post by tbirdtbird »

I would not try flushing a tube and fin condenser myself, especially after the guts of 2 comps got buried inside. You need megaflow and pressure to do it right.
For the record, we see a great many posters who write in just about what you wrote. They all have trashed out condensers, because they simply were not aware they needed to change it out. I myself did that same thing when I was in my 20s when I first started in AC. Well, that was a bad start, and many decades ago. Will never make that mistake again. Of course, R12 was 50 cents a can back then, so it was a relatively cheap fix
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
jshaf00

Post by jshaf00 »

tbirdtbird wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:14 pm I would not try flushing a tube and fin condenser myself, especially after the guts of 2 comps got buried inside. You need megaflow and pressure to do it right.
For the record, we see a great many posters who write in just about what you wrote. They all have trashed out condensers, because they simply were not aware they needed to change it out. I myself did that same thing when I was in my 20s when I first started in AC. Well, that was a bad start, and many decades ago. Will never make that mistake again. Of course, R12 was 50 cents a can back then, so it was a relatively cheap fix
well i can try swapping in a new condenser and sweeping out the system again and see what happens, my thought being a straight thru tube should have cleaned its self out with the multiple solvent blow throughs and it did appear to run clean and leave nothing in the paint filter or bucket. but anything seems possible now.
jshaf00

Post by jshaf00 »

tbirdtbird wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:14 pm I would not try flushing a tube and fin condenser myself, especially after the guts of 2 comps got buried inside. You need megaflow and pressure to do it right.
i did not run this long and shut down at first sign of trouble. ill break open the liquid line and inspect the orifice tube and report back after the 4th. if it is dirty ill remove and replace the condenser and clean the system and dump the compressor and see how that oil looks. add oil turn it and dump it again. if its shot ill trade it out. since the accumulator/dryer is cheap ill trade that out as well. since ill be opening this all up again should i use the plain jane orifice tube or should i use the 15.00 variable one??
jshaf00

Post by jshaf00 »

Tim wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:46 am
jshaf00 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:46 am
Tim wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:35 pm Four Season reman compressors?

Just used their chart for oil capacity
So, are these new or reman compressors? If you're blowing debris with new compressors. You never got the system cleaned. And have continued to add more debris by destroying the new compressors. As others mentioned, the new condenser is toast now because all the debris filtered through it.

Not being harsh, sounds like an improper repair from the start which has added to continuing issues.

These systems will work well. As John mentioned, I would not swap over to a VA system.
they are supposed to be brand new ! not worried about you being harsh, if i made a mistake i made a mistake. 4 seasons had a chart for oil PAG oil capacity for gm vehicles listing the different styles of stock type compressors used for gm and gmc trucks during my model year. was kind of handy.
jshaf00

Post by jshaf00 »

Tim wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:35 pm Four Season reman compressors?

mine is a supposed to be brand new murry compressor from orielly's.
jshaf00

Post by jshaf00 »

yeah i was tempted to trash the condenser even tho it held vacuum. i was at the point of everything else is new so maybe i should, and i probably should have but all seemed ok with it, and it had seemed to clean up rather nicely. should have gone with my gut feeling. i have read many things about the belt vibrating badly on many of these no matter what the belt tension and no one seemed to know why. it does blow nice cold air though. i was just afraid if i run it any length of time it will shell itself with that kind of vibration causing it to moan like that.
jshaf00

Post by jshaf00 »

JohnHere wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:12 am
jshaf00 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:38 am It is a good tube and fin condenser i did spend a good amount of time carefully flushing it, and all the lines and hoses and the hoses are new. really the only thing that was not new is the condenser. the compressor is supposedly a new manufacture compressor ( H4 pancake supposedly optimized for134) it has a lifetime warranty out of orielly's. im just thinking that perhaps the compressor just doesnt have what it takes to handle the situation and i am kinda of kicking the ball around to just waiting till ive got the money to just update the entire system to like a vintage air unit, or other like kit. ive spent quite a bit of money on trying to make this system go, parts, flushing tools and solvent, vacuum pump, gauges ect. and im kinda disappointed. so maybe it would just be better to save for an update. i dont know.
If it were mine, I would keep the system stock (with the possible exception of the condenser) instead of going to a new aftermarket system. I don't think you mentioned which compressor it had originally, but your truck came with either an A6 or an R4. The specs that I have list 44 ounces of R-12 and 10 ounces of Mineral Oil for the A6; 44 ounces of R-12 and 8 ounces of Mineral Oil for the R4.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/mu ... ssor&pos=2
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Stay away from the variable OT. They do not work, and you'll end up doing it all over again

Do yourself a favor and at least price out a comp and condenser from Tim, the board owner, at
www.ackits.com

get him on the phone if you can't find what you need.
You just might be surprised.
Last edited by tbirdtbird on Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I've not read through every post.

What engine is this and is the compressor an A6 or R4?
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Vehicle is 1985 chevy c20

OP will have to tell us R4 or A6, he has not identified that yet