AC With A Mind Of It's Own

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Nickm
Read the full article

AC With A Mind Of It's Own

Post by Nickm »

2013 Altima SV
I've tried to add AC gas, but the gauge reading is on the line between yellow and red.

My AC works fine in temperatures under 85 or so. When the temp gets higher, it will usually work in a couple of minutes. Somewhere above 90 and higher, it may take several minutes to work. The fan works well.

If I park my car in a cool area even though it maybe over 90, my AC still usually works well.

Once the parked car get hot, my AC may take several minutes to put out cool air and in a very hot day, the air isn't nearly as cool as it should be.

Any suggestions?

If I remember more symptoms. I'll add them.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: AC With A Mind Of It's Own

Post by Cusser »

Nickm wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:30 pm 2013 Altima SV
I've tried to add AC gas, but the gauge reading is on the line between yellow and red.
That's pretty much useless information, sorry ! Measure both high pressure and low pressure sides at about 2000 rpm.

If you don't have correct service gauge set, keep your hands off auto AC !!!!

Nickm wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:30 pm I've tried to add AC gas
Unless you know how much refrigerant the system has in it (by weight) and the capacity of the system, this is typically a fruitless activity. Sorry again !!
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

It sounds to me like the system is low on refrigerant. Unfortunately, those recharging kits with the little color-coded gauges can't tell you much of anything useful—neither the amount of refrigerant currently in the system nor the correct amount to add if it's low. And some of those kits contain refrigerant and sealer blended together in the can. Sealer is very bad news if it's introduced into a vehicle's A/C system. If your kit has sealer in it (read the fine print), hopefully you didn't add any yet. Just discard the entire kit.

To service it correctly, the first thing you'll want to do is recover the refrigerant (or have that done by a professional A/C shop). The shop's machine will weigh the refrigerant to determine exactly how much came out. That'll tell you whether it's low and by how much. Then, you or the shop can proceed to evacuate the system down to 29.9 In.Hg. (inches of mercury) for at least one hour to remove any air and moisture from the system, and recharge it exactly to specifications.

The specs that I have for your car are 19 ounces net weight of R-134a, and 5.1 fluid ounces of PAG-46 oil.

Cusser has offered some excellent advice, though. If you're not familiar with vehicle A/C systems and don't have the proper tools, it would be best to turn the car over to a professional A/C shop for diagnosis and service.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Nickm

Post by Nickm »

I haven't added any coolant, just used the gauge.

I had it serviced last year and it still had much of the same problem.

I have the can in my car, so I'll let you know the one I bought tomorrow night.

I was told some cars just have a problem getting started with AC.
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

Your Altima has a variable piston compressor. Early version variables like that suffered from the crankcase filling with liquid refrigerant, they will not displace and start pumping until the liquid is forced out through tiny passages.

Probably also undercharged
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Start with the basics.

Is the clutch engaging when it is NOT cooling? Is it engaged when it does cool?

Is the clutch gap way too big?