2003 Toyota Sequoia equalized sides

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Highridge Auto
Read the full article

2003 Toyota Sequoia equalized sides

Post by Highridge Auto »

Same pressure after the action below:

2-3 years with no A/C running on Toyota Sequoia because I new the a/c compressor solenoid was bad.
Yesterday installed new solenoid and clutch was fixed....BUT
Checked high side and low side and pressure was equalized at 48-50 +/-2
Bypassed clutch relay and tried 134a gas from the low side....no change.....engine & Compressor running. No change in low & High
(Vacuumed out) Would only vacuum out to 24Hg. Quit after 2 hours...probably single stage pump and then left over night.
After leaving overnight the gauge stayed the same at 24Hg
Followed Protocol from Toyota to recharge high side,(liquid) low side closed, no motor running. same pressure result at end...50+/-
Then tried low side (Gas) motor and compressor running (Clutch didn't stay on so bypassed). Same result 50+/-
Just a guess but bad compressor? Anyone?
Every shop deserves a lift!
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: 2003 Toyota Sequoia equalized sides

Post by tbirdtbird »

I find the details a bit confusing.
First a vacuum of 24 is very insufficient for AC to work. You are wasting refrigerant to charge into that low a vacuum
Is this a pump with an electric motor?
Hot wiring things is not a good idea and you can do damage.
I am not clear as to what you mean by an AC solenoid. Others may. Until I understand what it is I can't pass judgement on the comp.

I also think you have a leak. There are procedures to determine that. That subject comes up all the time and there are many ways to test, ie, sniffer, nitrogen, dye. You may want to do a search of the site

You seem to be charging by cans and have no idea how much 134 was installed.
No offense, but DIY only works when there is the necessary skills and equipment available. Tell me I am wrong and we can try to fix this
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: 2003 Toyota Sequoia equalized sides

Post by JohnHere »

Highridge Auto wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:15 pm Checked high side and low side and pressure was equalized at 48-50 +/-2
Agree that this entire scenario is confusing. But static pressures, if that low, indicate practically no refrigerant is left in the system. What was the ambient temperature in front of the grille?
Highridge Auto wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:15 pm Bypassed clutch relay and tried 134a gas from the low side....no change.....engine & Compressor running. No change in low & High
Don't jumper anything unless you want a lot more trouble and expense than you have now. How much refrigerant did you put in? My sources for this vehicle indicate 28 ounces of R-134a without rear A/C, and 39 ounces of R-134a with rear A/C.
Highridge Auto wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:15 pm Then tried low side (Gas) motor and compressor running (Clutch didn't stay on so bypassed). Same result 50+/-
Just a guess but bad compressor? Anyone?
What were the pressures with the compressor running, engine at 1,800 RPM, windows open, blower on high, A/C on "max" or "recirc?"

Are you sure that your Manifold Gauge Set is properly connected to the system?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.