AC compressor leaking after change it

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

oemb29
Read the full article

AC compressor leaking after change it

Post by oemb29 »

I replaced 3 times my AC compressor, vacuum test is good.
I'm recharging while the car is running and the AC is ON, just after half can refrigerant the compressor starts leaking in the bearing or axle.
All compressors happened the same problem.
The AC works good, but every time is leaking, and I will replace for the 4th time.
Please give me an advice, what is wrong with this

CHEVY SONIC 2012
Tim
Site Admin

Re: AC compressor leaking after change it

Post by Tim »

Are they paying you for your labor?
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Are all of them rebuilt compressors? Often, problems like that happen with "rebuilts"—unfortunately, only after installation, evacuation, and charging.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
oemb29

Post by oemb29 »

Thanks for responding.
I'm DIY guy. So I did some jobs on my car like timing belt, alternator, body and paint shop, water pump, oil cooler, Head gasket, Ignition coil, Valve Cover, Lifters, and multiple oil changes. So The AC one time did work anymore, I remember that I was checking the alternator so, the car just turned off... and when I turned on the AC was leaking (first time) The AC never run again. I bought the first AC compressor in LKQ for $70 (OEM) Low millage. I did vacuum, so when I charge it gas the compressor broke and leaking again in same point (just in the shaft) but the AC was blowing cold well. So I bought another OEM Low millage AC Compressor for $125 in a junker and I repeated the same process (vacuum and charge)... Only few seconds, leaking again in the shaft. The next compressor that I bought it was in carparts.com, a brand-new AC compressor ($225). Follow the same process good vacuum and few seconds after start the charge the AC compressor leaking again same spot.
I think could be a Valve or an electronic sensor, I did check, and this case is the first one in the world.
Any advice before go to the dealership and drop my leg as a payment?
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

For everyone's benefit, LKQ is a source of used parts.
So three used compressors all leaked at the shaft seal.
What type of compressor (what Model) were they? This is an important question, since on some compressors they leak where the case halves join together.

What brand is the new one? (Who made it?).
First, used compressors are a crap shoot.
Second, there are some cheaply made "new" compressors out there.

Are you absolutely certain that these are leaking from the shaft seal? How do you know where it is leaking? Are you using a sniffer? Put a shower cap or plastic bag overnight over the comp once the belt is removed. Next AM poke your sniffer into the shower cap and see if it alerts.
Could it be leaking from the fittings?

Please know that a system can hold vacuum, and not pressure, and vice versa
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

It seems unlikely to me that each of the compressors leaked in the exact same place. That being said, if you still have one of the compressors installed, remove the clutch assembly to see whether the front seal is actually leaking and not one of the compressor's three seams or the Pressure Relief Valve. Add some refrigerant if it's necessary to raise the pressure a bit.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
oemb29

Post by oemb29 »

tbirdtbird wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:28 pm For everyone's benefit, LKQ is a source of used parts.
So three used compressors all leaked at the shaft seal.
What type of compressor (what Model) were they? This is an important question, since on some compressors they leak where the case halves join together.

What brand is the new one? (Who made it?).
First, used compressors are a crap shoot.
Second, there are some cheaply made "new" compressors out there.

Are you absolutely certain that these are leaking from the shaft seal? How do you know where it is leaking? Are you using a sniffer? Put a shower cap or plastic bag overnight over the comp once the belt is removed. Next AM poke your sniffer into the shower cap and see if it alerts.
Could it be leaking from the fittings?

Please know that a system can hold vacuum, and not pressure, and vice versa
1st compressor GM DELPHI (took from Chevy Sonic 2012 low millage at LKQ by myself) $70
2nd compressor GM DELPHI (bought from Junker Chevy Sonic 2012 low millage at LKQ by myself) $125
3rd compressor No brand (bought from BuyAutoParts.com) $221

I used a detector and leak by the shaft. I can see the oil drain in my garage just in the compressor shaft.
All fittings are good.

Before running the system hold the vacuum but after running with just a little bit of refrigerant the compressor begins leaking and the oil splashes all over the belt system.
oemb29

Post by oemb29 »

JohnHere wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:08 am It seems unlikely to me that each of the compressors leaked in the exact same place. That being said, if you still have one of the compressors installed, remove the clutch assembly to see whether the front seal is actually leaking and not one of the compressor's three seams or the Pressure Relief Valve. Add some refrigerant if it's necessary to raise the pressure a bit.
I thought the same about the "Pressure Relief Valve" but I don't know if this valve on the front of the AC Compressor
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Could there be an obstruction in the high pressure side causing refrigerant and oil to get forced out the compressor seal?
oemb29

Post by oemb29 »

BuyAutoParts.com has sold 86 AC Compressors for the 2012 Chevy Sonic and only 2 returns. That's weird.
How can check if the car has obstruction? I'll change the expansion valve and the AC orifice tube (Filter)

Any Advice before of install the replacement again?
Last edited by oemb29 on Tue May 31, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.