Do I have a problem?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

DBBAir
Read the full article

Do I have a problem?

Post by DBBAir »

At the end of a 2600 mile trip with the A/C working fine for the trip, it seemed that it wasn't working well the last few miles. It could have just been that we got back into the cold weather and it wasn't needed. In any case, I figured it was the low pressure switch that had gone again since it was 3-4 years since I replaced the second one. So I replaced it. In doing so, I looked closer at the A/C operation and decided that the clutch wasn't turning off so that the compressor was always on. It was my impression that the clutch disengages roughly every 3-4 minutes and it wasn't (although the internet says it should cycle only every 20 min). So I got out my gauges and found that the static pressure was about 79psi for both the low and high side. That seemed normal. Then I measured the high and low side pressures and got 40-45 on the low side (spec is 25-36) and 250 on the high side (spec is 147-205). So now I'm jacked out of shape because the high is so high. The pressures were measured at idle speed. Although the temp at the ducts inside was 48 while in my driveway, I discovered it was a reasonable 39-40 when underway. So now I'm thinking I don't have a problem at all but that 250psi bothers me. Should it? I don't use the truck enough to get a good reading on it - only use it for trips so I'm concerned I'm going to have trouble on my next trip.

What do you think? Any help is appreciated.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Do I have a problem?

Post by Cusser »

Was the air flow out the vents decreased? I ask because possibly the evaporator froze up.
DBBAir

Post by DBBAir »

Cusser wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:36 pm Was the air flow out the vents decreased?
No it wasn't decreased.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

What is the year, make, and model of your truck?

When you changed the LP switch, did it have a Schrader valve behind it or did you have to evacuate and recharge the system as well?

Pressures (except static pressures) should be measured at about 1,800 RPM, A/C on "recirc," windows and doors open, blower on medium speed.

What was the ambient temperature when you took the pressure readings?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
DBBAir

Post by DBBAir »

JohnHere wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:59 pm What is the year, make, and model of your truck?
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax
JohnHere wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:59 pm When you changed the LP switch, did it have a Schrader valve behind it or did you have to evacuate and recharge the system as well?
Yes, there was a Schrader valve so I did not have to recharge the system

JohnHere wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:59 pm Pressures (except static pressures) should be measured at about 1,800 RPM, A/C on "recirc," windows and doors open, blower on medium speed.

What was the ambient temperature when you took the pressure readings?
Yes, maybe I didn't have the RPMs high enough. The temperatures were about 78-80 with less than 20% humidity.

Thanks for the response.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

How many miles on the truck?
Has anyone ever "topped off" the refrigerant?
If so, was any sealer added? Any history of leaks?
Avoid sealer at all costs.

Has the compressor or any other component ever been changed out on this 20 yr old truck? If so, why?
Get pressure readings the way that John asked and mist the condenser with a water hose and let us know both sets of pressures
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

DBBAir wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:48 pm In doing so, I looked closer at the A/C operation and decided that the clutch wasn't turning off so that the compressor was always on.
A fixed-displacement compressor (which is what I think your truck has) that runs continuously suggests the system is low on charge.
DBBAir wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:48 pm It was my impression that the clutch disengages roughly every 3-4 minutes and it wasn't (although the internet says it should cycle only every 20 min).
Several variables determine when and how often the compressor cycles. It's not as specific as that.
DBBAir wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:48 pm Then I measured the high and low side pressures and got 40-45 on the low side (spec is 25-36) and 250 on the high side (spec is 147-205). So now I'm jacked out of shape because the high is so high. The pressures were measured at idle speed.
Try increasing engine speed to about 1,800 RPM and re-check the pressures as described earlier.
DBBAir wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:48 pm Although the temp at the ducts inside was 48 while in my driveway, I discovered it was a reasonable 39-40 when underway. So now I'm thinking I don't have a problem at all but that 250psi bothers me. Should it?
Elevated pressures on the high side point to a condensing problem. It could be that when testing at idle speed, not enough air was passing through the condenser, raising the HS pressure. Try bumping it up to 1,800 RPM and re-test it. If that doesn't lower the HS pressure, mist the condenser with water, as suggested earlier. The pressure should drop noticeably.

One last check is to ensure the fan is running as it should. Does your truck have a viscous-drive fan or an electric fan(s)?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
DBBAir

Post by DBBAir »

tbirdtbird wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:21 pm How many miles on the truck? 190,000
Has anyone ever "topped off" the refrigerant? Not in the last 9 years
If so, was any sealer added? Any history of leaks?
Avoid sealer at all costs.

Has the compressor or any other component ever been changed out on this 20 yr old truck? If so, why? No
Get pressure readings the way that John asked and mist the condenser with a water hose and let us know both sets of pressures Will do
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Perfect pressures overall. 39 degrees while driving. Not sure why one would want to mess with it at all. As Cusser suggested, the issue could be freezing up. But it was stated the airflow never slowed down.

I'd leave it alone.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
DBBAir

Post by DBBAir »

So, I did additional testing:

Air temp: 79 Humidity <20%
at idle: 36 on low side, 225 on high side, temps about 40 and greater
at 1800RPM: 30 on low side, 220 on high side, temp about 38 and greater
Misting at 1800 RPM: 30 on low side, 160 on high side, temps 38 and greater
There was considerable fluctuations in readings since now the clutch was on and off whereas with other tests, clutch remained on.

So what does the misting test mean where I get considerable lower pressures and clutch cycles? I don't really see any debris on the cooling stack

Thanks for all your help!