AC won't cool unless car in drive sitting still

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

grrrcrrr
Read the full article

AC won't cool unless car in drive sitting still

Post by grrrcrrr »

I have a 2006 Subaru Outback, 2.5 with auto tranny.
Odd thing: my AC won't cool until the car has been in gear for 30 seconds or so, sitting still. The routine we've been living with is to crank the car, put it in gear with my foot on the brake, sit there for a bit until the air turns cool, and then I can start driving. After that it's okay for the rest of the trip. If I start driving before it gets cool, it won't cool until I pull over and wait, or come to a stop light or something.
Anybody have a clue?
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: AC won't cool unless car in drive sitting still

Post by tbirdtbird »

Actual vent temps would be helpful. Also, pressures from a manifold gauge set, which you can get a decently priced one from the site owner, Tim.
Charge could be low, condenser could be dirty. Clutch gap could be too wide, also.
Once you start the car and turn on the AC, pop the hood and check to see if the center section of the AC pulley is turning. The outside portion will always turn. If the center section is not turning, the gap is too wide.

Let's see if you can get us some actual data before we go further. Did it ever cool properly? New car to you? Anyone work on the system recently?

Whatever you do, NEVER install a can of 134 refrigerant that has sealer in it as you would get at the parts store. Sealer is atrociously bad and will gum everything up.

Report back
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: AC won't cool unless car in drive sitting still

Post by JohnHere »

Drive off right away with the A/C on, safely stop someplace off the road, lift the hood, and check to see whether the compressor is turning.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.