AC not cooling after remained garaged for few months

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

JohnHere
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: AC not cooling after remained garaged for few months

Post by JohnHere »

kapilamuni wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:24 pm I cut open the RD and it's holes are all blocked with some light brown colour dust like wet thing. Got few pictures but can't get them to shrink to post here.
The more I think about this, the more I'm led to believe that degradation of the oil has occurred, which is usually caused by moisture getting into the system via a leak, as has been said. If so, it might have happened unbeknownst to you before you owned the car. If the oil is contaminated and its lubricity compromised, then the compressor internals will also be affected, and eventually the compressor will fail. You might be on the cusp of the latter given the brown gunk you found in the R/D and the screeching that you're now hearing.

A bad clutch bearing could cause the noise, too. One way to eliminate the bearing from consideration is to remove the clutch from the compressor (it's not necessary to recover the refrigerant to do this) and rotate the bearing by hand. If it feels rough and wobbly and sounds like an old-time metal roller skate, it needs replacement. If it turns smoothly without any play, it's probably fine.

If the oil has been contaminated with moisture, which will also cause corrosives to form, affecting the system components from the inside, then you're looking at replacing the compressor, condenser, and R/D (again), and thoroughly flushing and blowing-out the rest of the components using an approved solvent. You might or might not want to go that far to restore the system.

I use an app to compress photos for online posting called Compress Photo Puma that you'll find in the Google Play Store, which I presume is accessible worldwide. YMMV if you have an iPhone, but I've found that the app works great on Android.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
kapilamuni

Post by kapilamuni »

I have visually obseved the compressor and with noise the centre hub stop/go for a while and once it rotates with the compressor, the noise is gone.
The compressor is located very close to the radiator and no space. Doubt I can get the pulley out. Managed to remove the hub with a struggle.

Anyway, no AC again and checked the pressures. High/low both at 80 psi, idling with AC OFF. So some 134 has escaped. Checking the compressor noted an oil patch close to that Pressure relief valve on the discharge line. So guess that's the culprit. If I'm to replace that;
1. is the pressure relief valve available separately?
2. Will I loose all the 134 again?

Thanks
kapilamuni

Post by kapilamuni »

Here is the photo of RD cut opened.
Attachments
IMG_20211214_165522.jpg
IMG_20211214_165522.jpg (123.72 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
kapilamuni

Post by kapilamuni »

Removed the PRV and I don't see it's ruptured or damaged. But it has no rubber sealing ring , only a thin steel washer.
Can I replace that thin wassher with a NBR o-ring?
kapilamuni

Post by kapilamuni »

Removed the PRV and I don't see it's ruptured or damaged. But it has no rubber sealing ring , only a thin steel washer.
Can I replace that thin wassher with a NBR o-ring?
kapilamuni

Post by kapilamuni »

Replaced the PRV o-ring and the clutch bearing.
Vaccd and held for almost a day. Regassed till the suction line started crying and now its icy cold.
Data at 1500 RPM
ambient temp - 33 C
High - 230 , Low - 32 psi.

Yet, on & off there is a screach when the clutch bites in and vainishes after a few seconds.
kapilamuni

Post by kapilamuni »

You are right.
Now its functioning as it should. My bigggset woryy was on the evaporater. Luckily its okay for now. To replace that you need to get whole dash out and puttuing it back without getting any creeks , nobody can.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Fai, this forum is for those people who are serious about mobile AC.
You have made several one-word posts that have contributed nothing.
I suggest you find another hobby, rather than clogging up this forum
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com