Low side hose pinches when pulling a vacuum

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

jellis56
Read the full article

Low side hose pinches when pulling a vacuum

Post by jellis56 »

Just received a new low side suction hose (GM GENUINE 1522310). When installing it I noticed it felt soft and very flexible. When pulling a vacuum it pinched the two hoses on both sides of the muffler. This is very odd, never seen this before.

In looking at the picture of the hose online, it shows letters on the hose and when I looked over the hose I see no markings at all, no rating. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... sn=3&jsn=3

Can someone tell me if this is something they've seen before or ?

thanks

2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: Low side hose pinches when pulling a vacuum

Post by JohnHere »

When you say "pinches," do you mean that those two hose sections collapse inward when under vacuum?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to the Forum.
jellis56

Post by jellis56 »

Yes, exactly, the hose flattens.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

That doesn't seem right, especially for fairly stiff barrier hoses that have a semi-rigid liner. I would return the hose assembly, explain the problem, and request a replacement. Alternatively, return it for a refund and contact this site's sponsor for another part.

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to the Forum.
jellis56

Post by jellis56 »

I pulled the ac hose off and did find hose info which is not that legible but am able to make out it says the following:

R134A/R123yf other info is faded. Looking at the hose material it's a nylon based covering or not the typical hard rubber I see on other ac hoses, or whatever the outer material is. I did see someone on YouTube showing an ac hose they cut open and the inner tube was collapsed. I'm wondering if this is what was sent to me... i emailed the company and asked them to not send me one with the wrong hose..

I'm wondering if the new AC hoses are different now and this is what I got? Is it right for them to be collapsing pinching off the hose when pulling a vacuum? I don't think so, do you?

The more I look at this I think it may have been a used part they sent to me, judging by the dirty part label that was stuck on it at ACDelco. ​I got it from Rock Auto.
jellis56

Post by jellis56 »

Further research online tells me it's nylon inner hose with fiber braided on the outside.

So that makes me wonder if the hose is something different I have never seen before and it's ok or just go a replacement and compare the two.

thanks for all the help...
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

jellis56 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:34 am I pulled the ac hose off and did find hose info which is not that legible but am able to make out it says the following: R134A/R123yf other info is faded. Looking at the hose material it's a nylon based covering or not the typical hard rubber I see on other ac hoses, or whatever the outer material is.
There are a couple of different styles of barrier hose that I'm aware of. As you described, one has a jacket with visible "windings," like Aeroquip makes. The other has a smooth jacket, like Goodyear produces. According to the tag, the ones you have are compatible with both R-134a and R-1234yf refrigerants. That's probably because vehicle manufacturers were just starting to transition to R-1234yf on or around 2014, with some new vehicles still using R-134a.
jellis56 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:34 am I'm wondering if the new AC hoses are different now and this is what I got? Is it right for them to be collapsing pinching off the hose when pulling a vacuum? I don't think so, do you?
I can't say where GM sources their A/C hoses, but I'm sure it has a lot to do with availability and price. I seem to recall seeing both styles used over the years. Others on this Forum might know for sure. As for the hoses collapsing under vacuum, I don't think they should do that. It could be that they were compromised somehow, such as being bent too far, kinked, then straightened, causing weakening of the liner and the subsequent collapsing that you noticed.
jellis56 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:34 am The more I look at this I think it may have been a used part they sent to me, judging by the dirty part label that was stuck on it at ACDelco. ​I got it from Rock Auto.
Could be that someone before you installed the part, noticed the problem, returned it to RA, and then somehow found its way back into the new-parts bin before you received it. Not saying RA did that purposely, but mistakes do happen.
jellis56 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:45 am Further research online tells me it's nylon inner hose with fiber braided on the outside.
That sounds like the Aeroquip-style hose. The nylon inner liner is the barrier, which prevents refrigerant from seeping through the jacket.
jellis56 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:45 am So that makes me wonder if the hose is something different I have never seen before and it's ok or just go a replacement and compare the two. thanks for all the help...
I would order another new part. As said earlier, it shouldn't collapse under vacuum like that. And it's anyone's guess what it will do once the system is charged. You definitely don't want to do the job again if it should fail under pressure.

jellis56

Replacement hose received

Post by jellis56 »

Replacement hose received today. It has the same characteristics as the hose I have been complaining about. It is soft and can squeeze it more than any AC hose I have seen before. Remember I was complaining the 1st hose was flattening down like the vacuum was pinching itself off. This hose seems identical to 1st hose I got.

The hose itself has these markings on it:
Parker 2041 16mm I.D. 5/8" R134a/R123yf

Paper Label on it says:
ACDELCO
2019 GM LLC
Detroit, MI 48265

ACD#
15-34651

GM#

QTY.1

GR.9.226
LC 15
077 21181-1339
Made in
Mexico
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Curiously, when I search the first GM part number you mentioned, 1522310, it comes up as a compressor. I'm not a "parts guy," but could it be this one instead: GM part #23141321 Suction Hose Assembly?

Additional thoughts: The two assemblies you received that seem to have identical, unusually soft hose sections could be part of an out-of-spec batch. That is, whoever manufactured them might have mistakenly used hose cut from a bulk spool that was designed for some other purpose, instead of the proper barrier hose normally specified for Mobile Vehicle A/C.

This site's sponsor might be able to help in purchasing the correct part.

Do you still have the original part that came out of the truck, and is it still serviceable?

Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

JohnHere wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:44 am This site's sponsor might be able to help in purchasing the correct part.
34-64655
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum