Sanden AC Compressors vs OEM Split Housing Style

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

NorCal
Read the full article

Sanden AC Compressors vs OEM Split Housing Style

Post by NorCal »

The Split Housing Style Compressor (HT6?) on my 96 Chevy K2500 Pickup has bad seals so am looking to replace it along with the Accumulator/Dryer and Orifice Tube. Am going to be keeping the truck so want the best, most reliable replacement. Are the Sanden units that much better of a design? Is the Sanden a direct-fit no-mod replacement? Being the compressor isn't seized, should my Condenser be okay? Truck has 250k mile and is first time AC system has been worked on to my knowledge - I'm second owner and have put 150k on.

Found a Sanden 4440 SD7H15 compressor at a place in Florida for $255 shipped with 1 year warranty. Called and asked if compressor was genuine Sanden and where it was made - they said yes, it was genuine Sanden and assembled in USA from parts made in Japan. That sound kosher?
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Re: Sanden AC Compressors vs OEM Split Housing Style

Post by DetroitAC »

SD7H15 is a very solid compressor, yes it's very durable because of how it's designed, it is a wobble plate which is more tolerant to lubrication issues than a swashplate compressor like HT6.

SD7H15 is used for the majority of the heavy truck market where downtime costs serious money. This is why an SD7H15 usually has a cast iron front plate and pulley nose, it needs to be stronger for the huge serpentine belts used on heavy duty diesel engines. My belief is that the reliability of SD7H15 is the best in the industry. Any compressor can have awesome reliability when everything is wonderful, lubrication is always present, no startup slugging, no high RPM abuse. The real world use of compressors is pretty harsh, and wobble plates tolerate the abuse better than swashplates.
NorCal

Post by NorCal »

A little late but thank you for the informative reply, DetroitAC!
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Detroit, or any of the regulars here, could you describe the difference between the swashplate and wobble plate?
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com