New AC Compressor failed

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

bohica2xo
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: New AC Compressor failed

Post by bohica2xo »

I agree Tim, no way to know where the fault lies on this one.

Could be a bad compressor - those happen occasionally - or every time with 4S

Could be the shop has not seen an R12 vehicle in a decade, and just charged it with 134A

Could be the compressor was shipped dry as a bone and the shop dumped the correct oil in the accumulator.

Whatever happened, no shop likes swapping carry in parts.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

bohica2xo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:58 pm I agree Tim, no way to know where the fault lies on this one.

Could be a bad compressor - those happen occasionally - or every time with 4S

Could be the shop has not seen an R12 vehicle in a decade, and just charged it with 134A

Could be the compressor was shipped dry as a bone and the shop dumped the correct oil in the accumulator.

Whatever happened, no shop likes swapping carry in parts.

Kind of my point. We get half the story in many of these posts. Not to say there are not bad mechanics also.

Even 4S new models are pretty good. The poster did say new not rebuilt. If what was posted was true, sounds like a bad compressor. Now customer has to pay to have an R&R job down. But they have learned questions to be sure to ask this next time around.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

I dunno, I think a shop that really does not prefer carry-in parts should tell the customer so, and turn the customer down.
I agree that the comp could have been bad from the start, new doesn't mean what it used to. If the shop had done the entire job then they would have to make good on it. We will never know.

A corollary is that we have had customers want to bring their own cheapo clear coat when we shoot their car here, but we will only shoot the best, which in our view is PPG 2021. So if that is not acceptable to them, then they will have to find another painter. Once the clear is on that car we own the paint job....
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

tbirdtbird wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:13 pm I dunno. I think a shop that really does not prefer carry-in parts should tell the customer so, and turn the customer down.
Is that the case here? I see no issues with customer-provided parts, then charging again if defective. Maybe the shop stated, I only cover labor once! We don't have the shop's side of this story. My comments are based simply on the thousands of posts like this over the years. There are good and bad customers. There are good and bad shops.

Help Support the Forum
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

I was speaking very generically, not as to this particular incident, since we have no knowledge of the particulars
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

tbirdtbird wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:36 pm I was speaking very generically, not as to this particular incident, since we have no knowledge of the particulars
All are good. Just sounded like the shop pretty much did things right. Give or take the oil issue. Most suppliers have pretty much covered this with docs sent with the compressor. But not all, thus the reason to have support for your products after the sale.

Help Support the Forum
ROBIN

Post by ROBIN »

With all due respect, I never said that I was ripped off. I sought the help of the forum to get to the heart of the matter, correct any errors, and get my car proper attention. This has been a learning experience. Thanks for all the positive input.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I'm in Arizona. Some shops here still service R-12 vehicles; shop needs to have dedicated recovery and service equipment for R-12.

Any real AC mechanic can instantly tell if a system has been upgraded to use R134a, provided that the conversion was done legally/properly (R134a service fittings, sticker on underside of hood).
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

ROBIN wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:31 am With all due respect, I never said that I was ripped off. I sought the help of the forum to get to the heart of the matter, correct any errors, and get my car proper attention. This has been a learning experience. Thanks for all the positive input.
I got off track a little, reading another post in the tread.

So, where are you at in the process right now? Waiting for replacement parts?

Help Support the Forum
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Everyone here is happy to help. There are some real sharpshooters here unlike any other AC forum I have been on.
The details of AC can be daunting to a layman.
In any event, you want a real AC shop, preferably MACS certified, as opposed to a speedie oil change or Sylvester's muffler shop , and oh, yeah, we also have AC gauges