New AC Compressor failed

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

ROBIN
Read the full article

New AC Compressor failed

Post by ROBIN »

The technician installed a new compressor on my car and it immediately started making noises and stopped cooling the car. The technician says that the compressor is damaged and needs to be changed. Also changed were all belts as he claimed they needed to be changed. The car is a 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and has many belts. I have a feeling that the belts were not installed properly and hence broke the compressor. Is that possible?
B52bombardier1

Re: New AC Compressor failed

Post by B52bombardier1 »

Hello,

Was there any compressor oil in the system or was any oil added before applying power to the compressor?

Rick
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 5.3 L LM7 Truck Engine & 4L60E Transmission
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

We assume the technician was not you.

"Is that possible?" NO.

What is possible is that you need a different technician. Extremely possible that you desperately need a different technician.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

B52bombardier1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:25 pm Hello, Was there any compressor oil in the system or was any oil added before applying power to the compressor? Rick
I'm thinking along the same lines as Rick and also tbirdtbird. Do you know whether the "new" compressor seized? Also, is this still R-12 or was the system converted to R-134a?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

A "new" compressor... Newly manufactured or a reman that is "new" to this vehicle?

Should be an R4 compressor. Those need a healthy dose of oil at startup.

This is a 1988 car, so it was originally an R12 car. Has it been converted? Did the technician note this in any way?
ROBIN

Post by ROBIN »

The compressor was new, not remanufactured. I bought it in Rock Auto to specifically fit the 1988 Cutlass Supreme Oldsmobile. As advertised, it was supposed to be factory oiled. As for the installation it was done by a technician. Thanks for your responses so far.
ROBIN

Post by ROBIN »

The car is original. Has not been converted in any way.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

"supposed to be factory oiled"

The pros on here suggest that regardless of what oil is or isn't already installed, that the compressor be emptied of whatever is in it, then the correct amount of fresh oil installed. This is the only way to be sure if it is correct

What is your warranty?
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
ROBIN

Post by ROBIN »

Because the compressor is totally damaged I can return it to Rock Auto and get a replacement. The requirements to honor the warranty are strict though.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

tbirdtbird wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:21 pm "supposed to be factory oiled"

The pros on here suggest that regardless of what oil is or isn't already installed, that the compressor be emptied of whatever is in it, then the correct amount of fresh oil installed. This is the only way to be sure if it is correct
I'm not a pro, but I always do this. A compressor for my R-12 1988 Mazda truck came filled with PAG oil, I had to flush with 525 R-12 oil then fill. 2 months later my co-worker's new compressor for his R-12 1990 Mazda Protege came filled with 525 oil, go figure. I worked in a laboratory, and it was a 3-minute test to determine whether PAG or 525 oil.