95 buick century 3.1

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

fonebone
Read the full article

95 buick century 3.1

Post by fonebone »

My a/c guy evacuated and recharged my system.I had put about a can and a half in; thought I was close. After he was done he told me I was 2 and a half lbs. overcharged! Is that possible?? I watched him reach under, lift the can to zero set the scale, then proceed with the evacuation. The system holds 32 oz. I worked on a/c when in the trade. [went to GM a/c school,N.Y.] Looking back, I don't think he fully lifted the recovery can off completely and fully zero set the scale. I don't think it's possible to put that much refrigerant in. Your thoughts? Thanks!
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: 95 buick century 3.1

Post by tbirdtbird »

Does it blow cold?
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

I assume you mean the A/C system was working when you drove it into his garage?
If so, I don't think it's possible to be that much overcharged, would pop the pressure relief valve right away.
fonebone

Post by fonebone »

I forgot to mention-Yes, the a/c was working, but was not really that cold. That's why I had added no more than a can and a half, not all at the same time, over a period of a month or so, to bring it up to what I hoped was colder temps. Oh by the way- yes, now it blows nice and cold after it was topped off to specs-32 oz.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

The designated procedure for under performing AC is to evacuate and recharge to correct level, then go from there if still issues
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
fonebone

Post by fonebone »

Yes, T-bird, I thought my post said that- Before he evacuated and recharged it blew just cool, not cold. After he evacuated and recharged it,it blows nice and cold now. I then asked him how much I was overcharged, and that's what he told me-2 and a half lbs. over!!