Guidance with CO2 Leak Testing

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

tbirdtbird
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: Guidance with CO2 Leak Testing

Post by tbirdtbird »

Yay Halide torch

Try that with R1234yf! .....or not!!!
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

I added these two halide torches to my toolbox, circa the mid-1960's, when R-12 was in its heyday. I tried not to inhale too much while using them, though :mrgreen:

I purchased the electronic sniffer, inside the case, later on.
Attachments
20210824_112203.jpg
20210824_112203.jpg (249.35 KiB) Viewed 3475 times
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Alan B

Post by Alan B »

Just wanted to update everyone on my progress.

I did find a leaky hose was able to have it repaired. I also found my gauge set was leaking so I've been careful to pressure test with the gauge set off and the service caps in place. Although after pressure testing at 115 psi for several days with the new hose I find I'm consistently still losing 1PSI per day.

I had a spare compressor and got the same level of leakage.

I'm borrowing a Robinair LD7 leak detector and plan to add 10oz of refrigerant and hopefully find the leak. I understand setting sensitivity too high can cause false positives but do you have any specific tips. If this is information from prior posts please direct me to them.

Regards,

Alan
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

I do not mess with inert gas testing. I vacuum, then check for leaks by puffing in enough 134 to bring the low side to about 20 psi. It doesn't take much 134 to do this. This is allowed.
I then use my electronic sniffer (I have a TIF brand). I use max sensitivity or one notch less. If you sniff an area that has a sustained leak for a while, the sniffer might sound almost anywhere in the vicinity. You will find that refrigerant lingers.
You have already taken care of the worst leak, so you should be OK with max sensitivity. You can always fan the suspect area to wash away any lingering interfering 134.
Repeat your test on a suspect area several times, your results must be reproducible.

You should be able to sniff fearlessly on max if the system is fully tight.
The sniffer is worth its weight in gold.
Some folks squawk about the price, but to me time is money. If there is a leak I want to find it NOW so I can move on to the next task

In my last post I commented on R1234YF and using a halide torch (very old school). Of course 1234YF has propane in it, so using a halide torch would be a really really bad idea, just to set the record straight
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Are you sure the 1 psi difference is actually a leak, or the result of the effect of ambient temp changes.....
Alan B

Post by Alan B »

Testing with the sniffer showed a consistent leak at the low side R12 to R134a service port adapter. I removed the adapter and reinstalled it with Nylog thread sealant. I had to return the sniffer before I could reseal it but have watched it over several days with CO2 and it seems to be holding. Thanks for the all the tips in sorting this out.

Regards,

Alan
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Good job!!!