Is Recovery Necessary for DIYer, on a limited basis

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Sierra9093
Read the full article

Is Recovery Necessary for DIYer, on a limited basis

Post by Sierra9093 »

Hello,

I am working on the A/C for my 2009 Ranger because of, what else, low cooling. It seems to have correct pressures on the A/C manifold I bought, but the A/C/ clutch constantly cycles. I added Freon, which seemed to lesson the cycling, but the cycling did persist abnormally, and the cooling is a tad better, but not great, as before. My question is should I invest in a $500 recovery set up to remove the freon before pulling a vacuum. I know it's EPA not to vent refrigerant into the atmosphere, and I respect that, but is the investment worth it and common for the DIYer, or do most people just let it flow to the atmosphere. I don't really mind the investment if it's that critical, but if it's something most people pass on, would like to know that too. I also have a 2005 Impala doing diddly, and a home A/C I would like to be able to service if necessary. Guidance and advice is kindly appreciated, and thanks in advance.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: Is Recovery Necessary for DIYer, on a limited basis

Post by tbirdtbird »

No one can tell you it is OK to vent refrigerant, since that is illegal.
What you do on your own, and whatever chance you take, no one has any control over

You would not be able to use the same recovery machine on mobile as on residential. You cannot mix refrigerants in a recovery cyl.
In fact, for mobile you would need 2 separate machines, one for 134, and one for 1234yf
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
ThisOldBob

Re: Is Recovery Necessary for DIYer, on a limited basis

Post by ThisOldBob »

Sierra9093 - You're giving yourself the false limitation of venting or buying a recovery machine. What about a third coice - take the car to a service senter and pay them a small fee to recover before you open the system? I'll be in the same boat soon and plan on calling to see who will work with me. Most service places run specials where they recover and refill your system for a fixed price. Will they recover mine and allow me to come back and get it filled for the same price?