Newbie Question: What Happens to the Oil?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

ttiwkram
Read the full article

Newbie Question: What Happens to the Oil?

Post by ttiwkram »

Hi -

I have a '97 Chevrolet Sierra whose a/c condenser sprang a leak many months ago, so there's no doubt the refrigerant is long gone. But what happens to the oil in this case? Is it in solution or suspension with the refrigerant, so it disappears as well, or does it separate out and remain in the system? If it remains, will the vacuum evacuation get rid of it? I'll be replacing the condenser (and several other parts, of course), and I'd like to know if I need to allow for some old oil already in the system.

Thanks --

Mark W.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: Newbie Question: What Happens to the Oil?

Post by tbirdtbird »

ttiwkram wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:35 am
I have a '97 Chevrolet Sierra whose a/c condenser sprang a leak many months ago, so there's no doubt the refrigerant is long gone. But what happens to the oil in this case? Is it in solution or suspension with the refrigerant, so it disappears as well, or does it separate out and remain in the system? If it remains, will the vacuum evacuation get rid of it? I'll be replacing the condenser (and several other parts, of course), and I'd like to know if I need to allow for some old oil already in the system.
Some oil will be discharged with the leaking refrigerant.
Some will remain behind, but now possibly contaminated since the system has been left open to atmospheric air and moisture (the oil likes to soak up water vapor ie hydroscopic.
Evacuation will not remove the oil.
The rest of the components should be flushed once the condenser is out for replacement
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
ttiwkram

Re: Newbie Question: What Happens to the Oil?

Post by ttiwkram »

Interesting! Thank you.