2008 Suburban vs 2000 Excursion AC Functionality

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

hbabler
Read the full article

Re: 2008 Suburban vs 2000 Excursion AC Functionality

Post by hbabler »

Holy cow that’s awesome.

So which compressor should I order? The 141 or 127mm clutch?

Detroit AC I’ll get you a picture.
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

Thanks Tim, I really appreciate the effort, but that's about all I've been to get for images of these tube/hose assemblies. I think that's the liquid line for the trucks without a rear unit. I'm looking for the liquid line with a rear unit, so I can see the branch off fitting. Or maybe it branches off from somewhere else creative? This liquid line has been discontinued, so no parts houses have any stock and no pictures either.

hbabler, it seems like you'll get 123% more compressor displacement, but spin it 11% slower, so maybe roughly 12% more suction gas flow? Don't get me wrong, 12% is a lot, if you don't think so, try turning down a 12% pay raise... This seems like a pretty big project, likely some new hoses and fittings, I guess you have to consider if it's worth it for ballpark 12%

If you could reuse the existing tube/hose assemblies, or maybe just adapt them a bit, it would be pretty sweet. I wouldn't put anything less than -12 size hose on a compressor this big, come to think of it, I always would use -12 suction hoses if I could, you are getting in the ballpark where a -16 hose would make sense. Right angle fittings and blocks are also killers to performance, I'm not saying they don't work, but they cause pressure drop at the expense of easy assembly. 1 psi pressure drop in the suction line will result in about 1/2 psi pressure increase in the evaporator, and the refrigerant in the evaporator will be ~0.7 degrees F warmer. A bunch of those right angle fitting blocks will really add up, as will hose crimps and small diameter hoses and pipes. You sometimes have no choice, have to put in something restrictive to make a piping connection.

The suction side of the system from evaporator to compressor is a bottleneck to performance, can think of it like the intake (suction) side of an engine. You want low restriction intake manifold, low restriction air filter, intake pipes, etc. so the air density stays as high as possible. It's exactly the same for suction side of the compressor, you want to keep suction gas density as high as possible.

Edit: maybe if it's feasible Tim could sell an Excursion performance upgrade kit: compressor, bracket adapter, hose and fittings adapters, belt, charge amount and instructions
Last edited by DetroitAC on Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Not 100% sure about the PAD mount and gauge line.

I think with my resources this might be an option.

20-11288
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
hbabler

Post by hbabler »

Well it looks like I can play the guinea pig. Tim that looks good, Let me see what else I need and I’ll give you a call and order it along with a dryer. Then I can see if the hoses will work and double check mounting.

I can’t say the market would be huge but these old beasts do have a bit of a rabid following so the kits might be a big hit and I would promote the crap out of it if it works well.
Last edited by hbabler on Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

These TM21 can be purchased with the block fitting. Which one would work, vertical or horizontal?

Help Support the Forum
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

This might help.
14-DKS57001cdata.jpg
14-DKS57001cdata.jpg (122.58 KiB) Viewed 5253 times

Help Support the Forum
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

It looks like there is a 250cc version as well Tim? that would be a proper upgrade IMO, and worth the trouble. Guys that would want to upgrade AC that badly are living in places where they need it...
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

DetroitAC wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:17 pm It looks like there is a 250cc version as well Tim? that would be a proper upgrade IMO, and worth the trouble. Guys that would want to upgrade AC that badly are living in places where they need it...
What are you looking at? My research shows, tm21 than tm31.

Help Support the Forum
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

I would go for the smaller pulley if available. With a Diesel you have a narrow operating range compared to the gas engine. So you don't have to deal with the 5500 engine rpm at WOT upshift.

Detroit:
Yes, please share the 250cc compressor info.

Here in the southwest where it can still be over 100f at midnight, a compressor swap does not look like such a big job. 116f the other day pulling out of the parking lot at work. If there is room on the mounting bolt axis, a simple .500 thick spacer can fix a pad mount interchange issue.

hbabler

Post by hbabler »

It appears he is referring to this monster:

The QP25

http://firewall.reddotcorp.com/pdf/QP25 ... ochure.pdf

Tim,
Can you get red dot parts? I thought I saw some on your site.
Here is the red dot part number 75R91182Q
It is a 141 mm clutch would the extra displacement make it worth it? Is this too much compressor? Would I need bigger lines from stock?

It looks like the rear connections will work with the stock hoses. I think I will have to build an adapter plate to move it forward a bit to get the clutch lined up as it’s shorter from the front mounting holes to the middle rib of the pulley.