2016 Ram line sizing issues (#4 size?)

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

VPO Motorsports
Read the full article

2016 Ram line sizing issues (#4 size?)

Post by VPO Motorsports »

Morning,

I am rerouting all the lines in my Ram pickup. I am moving everything to the bed I can. I have a reddot stand alone dual fan condenser, and LS adapters for the compressor. The issue I'm running into is it looks like the line coming from the expansion valve on the firewall might be something smaller than a #6. I have scoured trying to find some #4 fittings or something, but I am having no luck. Can anyone tell me am i just crazy? The idea is to come off the expansion valve and down to the bed, instead the factory lines run all over the motor, and I need the space as its getting twin turbos. Thank you in advance!
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: 2016 Ram line sizing issues (#4 size?)

Post by JohnHere »

I reread your post several times, and I think I now know what you're trying to do.

Since you're going to need new custom hoses anyway in order to reach the bed-mounted condenser, why not cut-off (from the existing hose in the engine bay) the TXV-side fitting and reinstall it on the new hose? That'll save the trouble of trying to source a new fitting. (Unless you're dealing with a hard line.)
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
ice-n-tropics

Post by ice-n-tropics »

2 cents:
First prize for a non grill mount condenser would be a roof mount that is designed to get a boost from ram air. Avoid turbo & engine cooling air exhaust under vehicle into condenser.
I've mounted condenser on back of cab on class 6 trucks and under trunk on Model A but temp in Phoenix is 165 deg. + of air 4" above road.
If inside bed mount, ram air ducting would be helpful at higher road speeds.
The choke point inside #4 fittings and bends in long hard lines could be pressure restrictions.
hotrodac
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Yay Ice is back!
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

tbirdtbird wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:58 am Yay Ice is back!
Must have caught all the fish in the pond.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

LMAO Ice!

I am picturing an old Kysor roof box mounted on a new Ram 1500. You always make ne laugh. Good to see you back.