Replacing Robinair hoses

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Archer
Read the full article

Replacing Robinair hoses

Post by Archer »

Good morning All !!
Another noob joins the crowd !! :D
How often should one replace their Robinair manifold hoses? I bought this manifold gauge set probably 8 ish years ago and only used it maybe 10 times in that time. I keep the kit in a cool dry spot in my garage. Went to use it yesterday and after about 10 minutes, the red hose had a pin hole leak in the hose. :shock: :shock:
I have an old r12 set that has to be 20 years old and they still work fine.. I know nothing is made like the old days, but I didn't expect to see the new hose go bad already. Of course the warranty is only a year. Maybe that answers my question.
Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated..
THX :)
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: Replacing Robinair hoses

Post by JohnHere »

Welcome to the Forum, Archer.

I don't think that the hoses need to be replaced at any particular interval. I do as you did and inspect them at every use to ensure they're still intact.

Usually, the hose-end seals wear out, not the hoses themselves, and I replace the seals as needed. Could be that the hose in question had a weak spot since new and just decided to give out at that particular time. But I think that's a fairly unusual occurrence.

I have R-134a hoses dating from 1993 that still look and work fine. My R-12 hoses from the 1960's still work well, too, although they're not quite as supple as they used to be. They still hold pressure without leaking, though.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to the Forum.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Hello JohnHere,
Thank you for the reply and welcome !!
I was thinking I got a bum hose from new. The hose still looks like brand new! And the hole is the size of a pin, with no soft spot.
Guess I need to spring for another one.
I am going to send the bad one to Robinair and see if they will do anything... Maybe I will get lucky !! :mrgreen:
Thx again !! AL
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Sending it back is worth a try. Hopefully, they'll replace it in the spirit of maintaining their good reputation. Let us know the outcome.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to the Forum.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Many techs will replace their hi side hose every year regardless of use. Your call. Your eyes.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com