AC restoration questions, '93 Mazda RX7

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere, Dougflas, HECAT

pete_89t2

Re: AC restoration questions, '93 Mazda RX7

Postby pete_89t2 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:52 am

bohica2xo wrote:Barrier hose will be a snug fit, but it should be anyway. A little lubrication is a good plan for sliding them on.

If you can't find a loose ferrule with the correct dimensions, you can use clamps. We have covered this before:

https://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=2&threadid=13152

https://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=14922

Pay attention to conditioning the old R12 fittings to use the new barrier hose as well. Covered in the threads above.

Lots of good info above and in those referenced threads - makes sense to smooth out any sharp edges on the old fittings when using barrier hose on them. Might not be clear in the picture I posted, but those are not really barbs on those fittings - they look to me more like machined O-ring grooves, though when I got the hose off there was no sign of any O-rings ever being in there.

Another thought I had was to use a brazed/weld on adapter fitting (beadlock on one end, braze fitting to AL tube on other) on these. Given the dimensions I listed in the previous posts, would the brazed adapters fit over the AL tubing?
bohica2xo

Postby bohica2xo » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Those grooves were the "barbs" . Just like some of the fittings in the links I posted.

Yes, you can Tig weld an aluminum beadlock fitting to the OEM aluminum pipes. I have done it in the past, but it it a one shot deal. Once the beadlock is crimped, you are done.

I think as complex as the OEM pipes are, they probably clear several obstructions that present an issue for a hose. Just as simple to re-use them with a clamp or ferrule. You can buy ferrules, just measure the OD of the hose installed on the fitting first.

Much of the 1960's A/C systems relied on cheap worm drive clamps with few issues. In fact the dealer installed system in my 1993 F150 has worm drive clamps. A good band clamp will hold everything the hose will.
Dougflas

Postby Dougflas » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:31 pm

Some of the fitting barbs were made of steel also.

Return to “Automotive Air Conditioning Forum”