2007 Ford AC low side cycling

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

kafoo
Read the full article

2007 Ford AC low side cycling

Post by kafoo »

2007 Crown vic 96k miles manual climate control.
The past few weeks I've noticed the AC in my crown vic getting warmer. Performance is ok at idle, 55-60F, compressor rarely cycling. However while driving the compressor short cycles and the air gets warm. Do the great minds here think this is symptomatic of a clog? Or is it just a bad switch and I'm overthinking?
The pressures were a little low so I added a couple OZ of refrigerant to get it to 45 and 215psi with the engine idling, 80F ambient. Then I logged some data.
As soon as rpm comes off idle, the ACCLT(low side cycling switch) opens and cuts the compressor off. Then for 10 seconds the discharge pressure decreases and the air at the vents gets warm while the compressor remains disengaged. The yellow WAC line displays when the clutch is engaged.
It then continues to short cycle via the ACCLT while cruising down the road at low RPM with TC lockup.
I've also noticed I can feel a frequent hesitation from the engine while the compressor engages erratically under acceleration.
Tried tapping and wiggling and pulling on the switch and its wires with the compressor engaged. No luck.
This is the compressor cycling at 2k rpm before I added refrigerant.
https://youtu.be/-RYdbX-M8J4
kafoo

Re: 2007 Ford AC low side cycling

Post by kafoo »

I understanding throwing refrigerant into it isn't the best approach. I'm just confused by the behavior of the system.
Symptom of under/overcharging? Water in the system? Faulty Switch? Restriction?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: 2007 Ford AC low side cycling

Post by bohica2xo »

If that FS18 drags the 4.6 down when cycling you are pushing your luck.

Grab the clutch plate on the compressor & turn it by hand. If it is gritty or notchy you have some parts to replace.

Running it with 60f vents at idle means it is really low on charge. Driving it like that keeps it from returning oil to the compressor.