2002 Pontiac Ram Air Trans Am ac is not cooling properly

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere, Dougflas, HECAT

Al9

Re: 2002 Pontiac Ram Air Trans Am ac is not cooling properly

Postby Al9 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:54 am

Great news.

A few tips for the best results possible:
1)When adding oil to the compressor, adding it through the oil drain hole and not through the suction port is critical to ensure proper lubrication.
2)Adding the required amount of oil to the accumulator is equally critical.
3)Rotating the clutch hub by hand a few times after loading the new compressor with oil and before engaging the new compressor for the first time is also a critical step.
4)I'd recommend you replace all the factory installed blue PAG with a "double end capped" commercial PAG oil of the required viscosity (likely PAG 150). Double end capped PAG is simply so much more moisture resistant than anything else.
5)Ideally speaking, the full system's refrigerant charge amount has to be inside the system the moment you turn the new compressor on for the first time, in order to achieve the best oil flow and compressor run-in process.

Don't worry too much about Chinese parts. In fact i'm running a Chinese compressor, compressor control valve, condenser and receiver dryer with absolutely no problems on my car. In my honest opinion, the only time you have to worry about Chinese parts is thermal expansion valves.
dannyual320

Postby dannyual320 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:08 am

Al9 wrote:Great news.

A few tips for the best results possible:
1)When adding oil to the compressor, adding it through the oil drain hole and not through the suction port is critical to ensure proper lubrication. The new Delphi compressor has a drain plug just like the OEM. I used the drain hole.
2)Adding the required amount of oil to the accumulator is equally critical.I will be sure to do that.
3)Rotating the clutch hub by hand a few times after loading the new compressor with oil and before engaging the new compressor for the first time is also a critical step.I rotated it about 10 times after adding the proper amount of oil and tightening the drain plug.
4)I'd recommend you replace all the factory installed blue PAG with a "double end capped" commercial PAG oil of the required viscosity (likely PAG 150). Double end capped PAG is simply so much more moisture resistant than anything else.I'm linking a picture of the other PAG150 oil that I have.
5)Ideally speaking, the full system's refrigerant charge amount has to be inside the system the moment you turn the new compressor on for the first time, in order to achieve the best oil flow and compressor run-in process.

Don't worry too much about Chinese parts. In fact i'm running a Chinese compressor, compressor control valve, condenser and receiver dryer with absolutely no problems on my car. In my honest opinion, the only time you have to worry about Chinese parts is thermal expansion valves.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/DsOyLUvxS2Sb_uzPK0pdjg.hjHTJZXzde0TsyR88yLTH9
dannyual320

Postby dannyual320 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:13 am

The compressor is already mounted in the car and it has 2 oz of the blue oil that came inside the compressor. I'd rather not remove the compressor again.

Here are a couple of links of me draining the brand new blue oil out of the Delphi compressor:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/9GZai0QUR0WIHi7jEPmbtg.VfYCkm2wUljrcBb2G1tOMH

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/JJheb5y2SPKCYW8aJzEbew.0sO_67wFIQe0OO72V8FgAR
Al9

Postby Al9 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:31 am

Can't find a pic of the rear label, but a DEC PAG is either stated to be so ("double end capped" or "double end cap" clearly written on the label) or the label says something along the lines of "exceptional moisture resistance" or the "moisture resistance" quality is somewhat highlighted.
dannyual320

Postby dannyual320 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:08 am

Since the blue oil is already in the compressor and the compressor is mounted into place, I'm just going to go with the blue oil that Delphi supplied.

Yesterday, I started the flush process of my evaporator. I used this Supercool flush solvent: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/SByRXG8JQVyBsiSTIOWNEQ.cDW_XenHmikIMSQjn-OUhz

I did about 4 flushes. I used a small funnel attached to a hose to pour some of the solvent into the evaporator. I then used compressed air to blow the solvent through the evaporator. The exit side has another hose going into a clear, plastic 2-liter soda bottle. I'm able to see all of the particles and UV dye coming out.

After 4 flushes, I'm still not satisfied as more debris and UV dye was still coming out. As I ran out of time yesterday evening, I added one last fill of Supercool solvent. I was surprised that it didn't take but a handful of ounces before the evaporator was full and solvent was coming out of the exit side. For some reason I assumed that the evaporator would hold maybe a quart of solvent but what do I know? Anyway, I left the solvent in overnight and I'll work on it some more later today.
dannyual320

Postby dannyual320 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:37 pm

This is the "recovered" solvent from evaporator flush 5:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/X4dxBkSwSzaZXtGp6c92NQ.sD_9u3qMZEcrFUCwMG0TUz

Here is the sludge that came out:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/ej6g6G6tSZiaJ3foEOEMGA.R-o1GbLr56KYQnxz1Ebqoe

I kept flushing until the solvent was pretty much clear then I blew a lot of compressed air through the evaporator to dry it out.

About to add oil to the accumulator:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/C7xA8AYRS1GLYxrMql7hmA.z3LlJdhqS7OwsEGqmQOuX1
dannyual320

Postby dannyual320 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:48 pm

Right or wrong, I used Nylog on the seals because I successfully used it on green o-rings many years ago. Most of the connections connected securely and I felt confident. However, two of them did not leave me feeling confident. The accumulator to suction hose connection and condenser outlet to liquid line connection.

I pulled a vacuum for just over an hour and then shut off the pump to see if the system would hold. Over the course of about 1 1/2 hrs it appeared to hold the vacuum :D . I decided to let the vacuum pump run a couple more hours for a total of 3. At the moment, the pump is turned off, pump valve closed and both gauge valves are closed. Both hoses are connected to the high and low ports. I'm going to let the system sit overnight and make sure it holds the vacuum before I proceed to charge the system with refrigerant.

I did notice that my vacuum pump oil got quite cloudy looking. I'll need to change that oil for sure.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/BshmR8cwT2mio6gFmlX4jQ.7e0iEgjC9npuuqbVCeSlcN

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/gYNJz-HBR5yD6DOwpkNj6A.5whnbl3DE4l8nrew7VSmdG
Al9

Postby Al9 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:02 am

Make sure the AC system is fully charged with the specified amount of PAG oil.
dannyual320

Postby dannyual320 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:26 pm

Al9 wrote:Make sure the AC system is fully charged with the specified amount of PAG oil.

I don't know what the specified amount of oil is for my system. There is no specified amount of oil listed on the sticker under the hood that tells me how much refrigerant my system takes which is 1 1/2lbs.

My Delphi compressor instructions had good information about how much oil should be added to each of the different system components. I went with what the instructions said because it was the only information that I had.
dannyual320

Postby dannyual320 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:12 pm

The good news is that the system held vacuum for 24hrs.

Now for all the bad:

I then put my refrigerant bottle on the scale and wrote down the weight. I then opened the low side valve and let the refrigerant in. Not much went in. Not anywhere close to a full charge. In fact, not even a 1/2lb. So I started the engine and tried to draw the refrigerant in. It was a real fight to get any in. My scale would slooooooowly count down 1/100th of a pound every 20=30 seconds. I tried reving up the engine to no avail. After maybe 30 mins of running the engine, I had about 3/4lb in.

At this point I said, "what the heck?" I turned the bottle upside down to see if I could add liquid refrigerant in. This worked. I got about .1lb to go in in a matter of 5 seconds or so. I did it again and again, putting the bottle back on the scale so I could monitor how much refrigerant was going in. I finally got just shy of 1 1/2lbs (1.43lbs to be exact) in and called it good.

I have to say that it's pretty cold here north or Houston, TX. Ambient temps this evening while doing the charging were about 40F but I was in my garage with the temp about 55F. I did raise the garage door because of running the engine and the garage was getting colder.

My H and L pressures didn't really make sense. H of about 65-70 and L of 38. Vent temp was 48F. I don't know if the low ambient temp has anything to do with it but it just doesn't seem to be right. I was hoping for vent temps of 40F or lower. I've spent a lot of money and a lot of time on this trying to do it right. I'm not happy with it at all right now.

Return to “Automotive Air Conditioning Forum”