2002 Pontiac Ram Air Trans Am ac is not cooling properly

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere, Dougflas, HECAT

bohica2xo

Re: 2002 Pontiac Ram Air Trans Am ac is not cooling properly

Postby bohica2xo » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:58 pm

I strongly recommend you pull the compressor to do any control valve swap.

Cleanliness is very important at that point. You want to clean the road grime off of the case around the valve assembly before you start.

Once you pull the snap ring, clean thigs again before you pull the valve out. Dropping a few grains of sand in the hole as you extract the valve can have consequences later...
dannyual320

Postby dannyual320 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:29 pm

Thank you for that advice, bohica. Once I realized that the valve is on the engine block side of the compressor, I figured that I'd have to pull the compressor out of there.

BTW guys, do you think that I should add any PAG oil to the system when I put it all back together? When I recovered the refrigerant, I didn't follow the Mastercool instructions to separate out any recovered oil. My machine's oil tank had no separated out oil. I think that someone at the beginning of this thread gave an estimate of how much oil would be lost during recovery.
Al9

Postby Al9 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:25 am

At this point it gets nothing but a wild guess, keeping in mind that a little more is always better than a little less.

I've once seen a RRR station recover half a fl oz of oil from my car's AC, but its specs are about one pound of refrigerant and 5 fl oz of PAG oil. Smaller system for a smaller car, and my compressor is supposed to have a built in oil separator (=less oil flowing around the system) too, since V5/V7 comps systems usually take around 8-10 fl oz of oil. So i'd say you'll definitely need more than half a fl oz to account for what has been recovered together with the refrigerant.

If you're replacing the accumulator, you'll need even more oil.
dannyual320

I think I found the smoking gun!

Postby dannyual320 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:18 pm

I finally changed out the compressor's control valve today. It was a PITA but I got it done. I did notice that my OEM control valve didn't have a screen on the very end of it like the aftermarket control valve did. I looked carefully in the hole to make sure that it didn't come off the CV and stay in the compressor. I couldn't see a screen in there.

Next, I unbolted the hose so that I could replace the orifice tube. This is what I found:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/xiRRDbQ6QJerkblFnOqjcQ.D111M-0IZATFUB2xbXAwiz

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/oh79nf85RP-3dWb3KMWsFw.qrUu5LVisNonz_bLJL7e4R

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/AzQu0i_NSoa-JX_mK9X49g.2FK2FtX6oTfH0yDlhUNFNH

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/S7PoLRGvS62f9gtjSc4mHw.jzei4FRcr0vMD6bjKVGwX0

Honestly, I've never seen a used orifice tube before but I'm guessing that they're not supposed to look like mine. I'm also guessing that all of that gunk came from somewhere and it's contaminated my entire ac system. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to replace a whole lot of my system but I'll let you guys tell me what you think.

BTW, I did seal the system back up and pulled a vacuum for an hour. Probably a waste of time but I did it anyway.
JohnHere

Postby JohnHere » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:29 pm

Looks like "black death" to me, meaning the compressor is destroying itself internally and sending burned oil, aluminum particles, and ground-up teflon downstream. You'll need to replace the compressor, condenser, accumulator, obviously the OT, any lines with mufflers, and thoroughly flush the rest. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Al9

Postby Al9 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:50 am

That poor thing is plugged up. Severely starved evaporator and a destroked compressor also. You should have heard a low droning sound inside with the comp running.
dannyual320

Postby dannyual320 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:53 am

JohnHere wrote:Looks like "black death" to me, meaning the compressor is destroying itself internally and sending burned oil, aluminum particles, and ground-up teflon downstream. You'll need to replace the compressor, condenser, accumulator, obviously the OT, any lines with mufflers, and thoroughly flush the rest. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thank you for the confirmation of what I had already told my wife: "I've got to replace everything but the evaporator." I do have a gallon of ac flush solvent to clean my evaporator.
dannyual320

Postby dannyual320 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:56 am

Al9 wrote:That poor thing is plugged up. Severely starved evaporator and a destroked compressor also. You should have heard a low droning sound inside with the comp running.

Yes. Completely plugged up.

I never did hear any weird noises coming from the ac system when it was running.
dannyual320

Postby dannyual320 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:04 am

Good morning to everyone. With the arrival of fall and much cooler weather here in the north Houston area, auto air conditioning has taken a back seat.

Anyway, I've been gathering up funds to purchase all new ac components for my car. The only item that I will keep will be the evaporator. I'm going to flush that. I have a gallon of air conditioning flush solvent that I'm going to use.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/9QPG1lzJTom9AL4_4q3Yog.9G6Xj3ewVpxSBkrjufzYHU

Return to “Automotive Air Conditioning Forum”