Help me diagnose my AC

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

brielly
Read the full article

Re: Help me diagnose my AC

Post by brielly »

okay will have to wait until tomorrow. thanks!
brielly

Post by brielly »

Had it evacuated completely, vacuumed for 45 minutes then charged with 20 oz. Fan clutch was suspect so I replaced it. Tried to test at 1800 rpm but compressor kept cycling off. At idle I got 38 low and 320 high. Thats at 85 degrees and vent temp 52. When the e-fan comes on pressures are 32 and 225. I'm ready to drive this thing off a cliff
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

Measure the input and output of the evaporator tubes. The readings (taken with the same thermometer) should be the same and the output a few degrees cooler) 320 high side at idle is too much. So you may have a defective condenser, fan clutch, missing air dam shields; what ever is causing the high side to be so high.
32 and 225 is good. Without looking up the system, is the e-fan supposed to be engaged when the compressor is engaged? Try misting the condenser with a hose while only the mechanical fan is working. Do the pressures drop like a rock?
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

brielly wrote:ried to test at 1800 rpm but compressor kept cycling off.
This would have been a perfect time to watch and read the pressure readings. Writing down what they were as it cycled off and on. Both low and high side readings.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
brielly

Post by brielly »

Misting the condenser dropped the pressures to 35 and 225. There is a big temp difference between the evap tubes. One is very cold,the other not so much. Hard to get a reading on the thermometer but the cold was around 60, the warmer one 80. I'll try again to get readings on the gauges at 1800 rpm. One other thing i thought was strange....when I take the gauges off and relieve pressure some refrigerant comes out of the center fitting where the yellow hose attaches. Should that be happening?
brielly

Post by brielly »

I was able to test again at 1800 rpm. This time the compressor stayed on and I got readings of 25 and 325 with 90 degree outside temps. Vents still way too warm.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

Airflow across condenser. It is possible the new condenser is bad or the fan clutch.
brielly

Post by brielly »

I replaced the fan clutch today and the problem remains. Looks like I may be the victim of cheap chinese parts, unfortunately there is no other option for this vehicle.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

Do you have access to an infared thermometer? Shoot the condenser and see if you get to an area that has a big change. A thermal camera is even better.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Here is my question. Why is everyone thinking he has high pressures. 35/325 is not so far out of line IMO. Cheap China parts. Hear that all the time and mostly it's not doing something right during the repair. Not sure what they sell on eBay. People tend to search price and then complain they got inferior parts.

My take. Pressure's listed at 35/325. At high idle, they did not change much, odd. Misting the condenser did not change them, very odd.

What color office tube are you using?

Does your condenser look like this one? What is the difference in temp inlet/outlet on the condenser?

https://ackits.net/product/g4895/

Do you know how much oil is really in the system?
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum