Help me diagnose my AC

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

brielly
Read the full article

Re: Help me diagnose my AC

Post by brielly »

Yes, that condenser looks like the one I have. Misting the condenser did bring down the high side pressure into the low to mid 200's. Does that indicate a bad condenser? I have no idea what color the orifice tube is, its part of one of the lines which is new btw. When I changed things out I only added the amount of oil that came out of the accumulator which was 2 oz. Nothing came out of the other parts so I don;t know the exact amount of oil but things were working fine before all of this happened.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Inlet and outlet temp on the condenser? I'll ask another way to be clear. What's the temperature drop from the inlet to the outlet on the condenser.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
brielly

Post by brielly »

I'll check and get back to you
brielly

Post by brielly »

temps are 140 and 125 on the condenser lines
brielly

Post by brielly »

I believe the switch is working right. As I watched the high side pressure rise on the gauge the fan would come on and then turn off when it dropped.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Brielly:

Go to https://www.eautorepair.net/Marketing/Default.asp

And spend the 20 bucks for a one month subscription.

You will get access to the FSM data and full wiring diagrams. The sensor calibration points. The fan logic path. And any temperature / pressure reference data that Jeep provided for that model year.

Honestly it sounds like you might have a substandard condenser assembly...
IF all of the factory fan shrouds and air dams are in place. A single piece of missing plastic can cause all sorts of issues. The heart exchanger stack (Radiator / Condenser / transmission cooler/ etc) needs to keep the airflow contained & moving through each piece . A n unintended gap at the edge of one component can let the air bypass that component on the way to the fan.

Your electric fan comes on when the pressures rise. At one point you were seeing cycling under full load test - which was likely cycling on the HPCO.

Generally, spraying water on a good condenser results in a huge pressure drop on the high side, to well below 2x the ambient air temperature.
brielly

Post by brielly »

I'm going to replace the condenser and see what happens. It's pretty easy to do and not too expensive. Thanks!
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

brielly wrote:I'm going to replace the condenser and see what happens. It's pretty easy to do and not too expensive. Thanks!

Why not try getting a condenser from Tim?