Strange PSI's in AC system, no cold AC

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere, Dougflas, HECAT

Noquacks

Re: Strange PSI's in AC system, no cold AC

Postby Noquacks » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:31 am

Good to know, Al. I wouldnt mind gambling on a switch- know where it might be? And once I find it any way to test it with an ohmmeter?
Al9

Postby Al9 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:00 am

I don't know its specs and how to test it, unfortunately.

Can you see a wire going to the compressor's back and ending in some kind of probe? That probe is the thermal switch i'm speaking about.
Noquacks

Postby Noquacks » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:11 am

Al9 wrote:I don't know its specs and how to test it, unfortunately.

Can you see a wire going to the compressor's back and ending in some kind of probe? That probe is the thermal switch i'm speaking about.

I see a wire going from the clutch to compressor, then going to the FRONT of the comp, clipped onto a clip which is secured to front of car, right behind front frame, next to fans. But it appears to be only a connector, no probe. Maybe I will have to take it in somewhere.
Noquacks

Postby Noquacks » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:14 am

Im ordering a new comp. Meanwhile, I am not using the ac as more damage can occur.
Al9

Postby Al9 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:33 pm

Your call. Good preventive course of action when dealing with an old car anyway. Compressors do eventually get old and worn no matter how you treat them. It simply gets to a point where you're beating a dead horse. That is, you finally manage to get a compressor to work right, but you also notice that it's taking a little too much time and rpm to get the air really cold, and it's also noisier than it used to be.

Return to “Automotive Air Conditioning Forum”