Strange PSI's in AC system, no cold AC

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

pippo
Read the full article

Re: Strange PSI's in AC system, no cold AC

Post by pippo »

Thanks, Bo, especially on a Sunday! So, at about 1:15 minutes into the video it goes from showing the plate to the hex (female?) adapter shown on the plate, but did not show it screwing on. My plate has no such stud thread onto which a hex female can attach. But WOW! I went back to the car to stare at the plate and something made me grab it with my bare hands and the plate fell off with the slightest touch!!! WHAT THE HECK!!! I am HAPPY!

So now, Bo, the inner surface of the plate is not an even surface! It has a huge worn spot, say, about 1/2 of the entire circumference is completely worn down!

So, one might wonder that the gap may not be such a factor if the plate surface is so badly worn. Now, where can I get a new plate? AC kits? Amazon? Ebay?
pippo

Post by pippo »

pippo wrote:Thanks, Bo, especially on a Sunday! So, at about 1:15 minutes into the video it goes from showing the plate to the hex (female?) adapter shown on the plate, but did not show it screwing on. My plate has no such stud thread onto which a hex female can attach. But WOW! I went back to the car to stare at the plate and something made me grab it with my bare hands and the plate fell off with the slightest touch!!! WHAT THE HECK!!! I am HAPPY!

So now, Bo, the inner surface of the plate is not an even surface! It has a huge worn spot, say, about 1/2 of the entire circumference is completely worn down!

So, one might wonder that the gap may not be such a factor if the plate surface is so badly worn. Now I just need to get a new plate, right?
pippo

Post by pippo »

pippo wrote:
pippo wrote:Thanks, Bo, especially on a Sunday! So, at about 1:15 minutes into the video it goes from showing the plate to the hex (female?) adapter shown on the plate, but did not show it screwing on. My plate has no such stud thread onto which a hex female can attach. But WOW! I went back to the car to stare at the plate and something made me grab it with my bare hands and the plate fell off with the slightest touch!!! WHAT THE HECK!!! I am HAPPY!

So, one might wonder that the gap may not be such a factor if the plate surface is so badly worn. Now I just need to get a new plate, right?
Or should I get the whole clutch and plate assembly and do the whole thing?
pippo

Post by pippo »

And while I wait for the part to arrive can I drive the car without the plate attached or must i attach it and tighten the nut again?
pippo

Post by pippo »

So, one might wonder that the gap may not be such a factor if the plate surface is so badly worn. Now, where can Iget just a new plate?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Post a picture of the plate if you can.

If it is badly bent that may indicate a failure of the plate springs. Hard to say without seeing it.

You can buy a whole new clutch, but a used plate will be just fine too.

Yes you can drive it with the plate removed. The idler bearing is held on the case with a snug fit & a beefy snap ring. The clutch plate does not hold anything else on.
Noquacks

Post by Noquacks »

Finally got the new clutch/plate kit. Put the new plate on and went for about 0.020-0.025 gap. Had to put 3 slim washers in there for some reason. When compressor runs , plate turns and still stops/starts although seems a tad better, But what scares me is that now there is a scraping screech sound once in a while, while the plate turns. Think I need to replace the clutch too? Do I need a 3 jaw puller or can I tap from behind with hammer gently?

(didnt post any picture as I am not good at that task, sorry). I would have to get someone to help me with that picture......
Noquacks

Post by Noquacks »

Al9 wrote:New clutch hub might be unburnished and slipping.
Should I scuff it up with say, 100 grit sandpaper?
Noquacks

Post by Noquacks »

I finally got the new clutch on as well as the plate! I decided it was time to yank the old clutch as its surface was sooo nice compared to the old. Put it all together and gapped around 0.017-0.018, and works nice meaning clutch does not skip/squeal anymore.

Thanks to all here who patiently supported me and my problem! You guys are great!! (if it wasnt for the advice here I would have probably got a new compressor, not knowing about the clutch failures.)
Noquacks

Post by Noquacks »

OK, excitement was too early as I took it for a drive and the car engine lurches/kicks/bucks a lot when the ac runs. on/off, etc. Air is not that cold. Could it be the magnet that came with the clutch kit whiuch I did not install? Should I test that old coil?