Strange PSI's in AC system, no cold AC

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Tim
Site Admin
Read the full article

Re: Strange PSI's in AC system, no cold AC

Post by Tim »

Clutch/Pulley smooth with a/c off?

If so compressor is toast. Can't turn locked up pistons.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Noquacks

Post by Noquacks »

Tim wrote:Clutch/Pulley smooth with a/c off?

If so compressor is toast. Can't turn locked up pistons.
Good tip, Tim. Im trying to remember- when the belt was off and I was removing the pulley (clutch) I was trying to turn it to pop it off and yes, it was sometimes hard to turn the pulley so that would mean that the piston is stuck/stiff inside, right? I think we are finally onto something. I am prepared to replace the comp if necesary.
Noquacks

Post by Noquacks »

Al9 wrote:If i'm not mistaken he has a Sanden scroll. In that case it's likely the compressor body's temperature switch, either misbehaving or doing what it's supposed to do.

Might be a good time to have a pro service the system and rule out any undercharge/overcharge condition (or leak).
I didnt know one can determine if a system is under/overcharged, How do you do it? With guages? And if a slow leak, how does that make the 'comp act so violently? I think if system would be low wouldnt the system just not work/be shut off with absolutely no cold ac?

So far, I tending toward a new comp. Anyway, thanks again people for helping with my big problem.
Noquacks

Post by Noquacks »

Good to know, Al. I wouldnt mind gambling on a switch- know where it might be? And once I find it any way to test it with an ohmmeter?
Noquacks

Post by Noquacks »

Al9 wrote:I don't know its specs and how to test it, unfortunately.

Can you see a wire going to the compressor's back and ending in some kind of probe? That probe is the thermal switch i'm speaking about.
I see a wire going from the clutch to compressor, then going to the FRONT of the comp, clipped onto a clip which is secured to front of car, right behind front frame, next to fans. But it appears to be only a connector, no probe. Maybe I will have to take it in somewhere.
Noquacks

Post by Noquacks »

Im ordering a new comp. Meanwhile, I am not using the ac as more damage can occur.