Strange PSI's in AC system, no cold AC

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

pippo
Read the full article

Re: Strange PSI's in AC system, no cold AC

Post by pippo »

bohica2xo wrote:Or you could address the most common failure first.
oK, I welcome quiz questions. Which is the clutch gap, right Bo?

Crawling under there in about 5 minutes.......
pippo

Post by pippo »

bohica2xo wrote:Yeah Cusser, nobody wants to believe it is the clutch gap. Lots of compressors replaced for lack of an adjustment.

The hot resistance of the coil is greater than cold. Less magnetizing force hot. Add in some slightly higher resistance connections in the circuit... Quits working when it is hot.

Adjust the gap back down to .015 / .020 and it will work again.

Take a mirror & flashlight with you. When it craps out hot, leave it running, park & look under the car. Is the front plate spinning?
With a second look at this again, I get it now. easy test. Back outside with the mosquitos......
pippo

Post by pippo »

I had to put off this project til now. Question: can one remove the ac clutch without removing the belt 1st? Ive done this to other cars (even camshaft pulley's) without disturbing the belt at all. I have the clutch removal kit from AZ. Is there too much pressure from belt to pull off /put back on the clutch and align the center bolt or should I have not too much of a struggle?

otherwise, I have to yank power steering pump/belt, alt belt, etc.......

Thanks, people.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

The plate will come off without touching the belt. The plate floats on the compressor shaft, the pulley rides on a double row idler bearing pressed on the case of the compressor.
pippo

Post by pippo »

bohica2xo wrote:The plate will come off without touching the belt. The plate floats on the compressor shaft, the pulley rides on a double row idler bearing pressed on the case of the compressor.
Woahhh! This is such great news, Bo!! All of a sudden my job became so much easier! Thanks, Man!! (will report back)
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

pippo wrote:
bohica2xo wrote:The plate will come off without touching the belt. The plate floats on the compressor shaft, the pulley rides on a double row idler bearing pressed on the case of the compressor.
Woahhh! This is such great news, Bo!! All of a sudden my job became so much easier! Thanks, Man!! (will report back)
On my 1998 Frontier, I left the belt on, and only removed the drive plate part of the AC clutch when I removed a shim to fix its slipping clutch.
pippo

Post by pippo »

man, this is impossible- the tool I rented from AZ does not fit in the 3 holes/depressions on the clutch plate. They seem to be just a hair too big. I thought maybe the back ends of the 3 pins, which are much smaller diameter may do but they seem too small, and jiggle all over. Am I doing something wrong? That tool is quite awkward. never used one before, but one side pins are a tad big, other back end they are way small. Sheesh........

Sure, I can bring it back but I dont trust any other so called "clutch plate removal tool" anymore.........I wish i could measure the 3 holes on my plate.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

You can hold any two of the three holes the break the nut loose. I use an adjustable pin spanner for that job

If you need the puller to get it off the shaft (sometimes there is a little corrosion) it screws in to the threads in the center of the hub. I know this can be pain in the butt sometimes on FWD cars, but it still beats a compressor Replacement
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

For my 1988 Mazda truck's Sanden compressor, the Autozone loaner tool did not fit either, I made my own tool for this. details and picture are here http://www.mazdatrucking.com/forum/show ... eplacement

For my 1998 Frontier I screwed in three 5mm bolt to extract its drive plate.

To loosen the bolt in the center of a drive plate, I have also left the AC belt on and tight, and jumped the wire to the AC clutch to get it to engage and then looened the center bolt.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Cusser wrote:For my 1988 Mazda truck's Sanden compressor, the Autozone loaner tool did not fit either, I made my own tool for this. details and picture are here http://www.mazdatrucking.com/forum/show ... eplacement

For my 1998 Frontier I screwed in three 5mm bolt to extract its drive plate.

To loosen the bolt in the center of a drive plate, I have also left the AC belt on and tight, and jumped the wire to the AC clutch to get it to engage and then looened the center bolt.

Just a notation. The link in your link is no longer available. No current crosses for it either.

Some options.
https://www.ackits.com/mt0950-santech-c ... rch=mt0950

https://www.ackits.com/mt1121-santech-c ... rch=mt1121

https://www.ackits.com/universal-clutch ... rch=mt0594
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum