Strange PSI's in AC system, no cold AC

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere, Dougflas, HECAT

Cusser

Re: Strange PSI's in AC system, no cold AC

Postby Cusser » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:23 pm

On my 1998 Frontier, last summer my AC clutch was slipping sometimes.

There were two shim washers under the drive plate, so I removed the thinner of the two, then re-installed the AC clutch drive plate and that will make the AC clutch "gap" narrower (yet not so narrow that it scrapes in the disengaged position). Fine a year later.
pippo

Postby pippo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:02 am

bohica2xo wrote:As I mentioned you may need the puller to get it off.

It looks like the tool on the left:

The bore for the socket in the plate has internal threads. The puller threads in, and the bolt presses it off of the shaft.

The chain auto parts stores should have loaners. There are a couple of sizes, it may take two tries to actually get the right one.

I rented the kit this morning early. There is no way nothing in that kit can help me remove my plate. The "bolt" on the left on your post is a male thread tip, and my plate is a splined center which beds onto a splined bolt/stud. maybe useful if a clutch plate is fastened with a bolt which when removed exposed a thread onto which your extraction "bolt" threads onto, but a honda civic has just a 14mm nut, leaving a threaded stud exposed. How do they get these plates off? What am I not understanding here?

Thanks for your continued patience with my problem. Dont know what else to do- hate to just throw on a new comp. (I am still off/on getting ice cold air).
bohica2xo

Postby bohica2xo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:54 am

Here you go. First 3 minutes of that video should cover it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=136&v=zVz8DonTFGo&feature=emb_logo
pippo

Postby pippo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:22 am

Thanks, Bo, especially on a Sunday! So, at about 1:15 minutes into the video it goes from showing the plate to the hex (female?) adapter shown on the plate, but did not show it screwing on. My plate has no such stud thread onto which a hex female can attach. But WOW! I went back to the car to stare at the plate and something made me grab it with my bare hands and the plate fell off with the slightest touch!!! WHAT THE HECK!!! I am HAPPY!

So now, Bo, the inner surface of the plate is not an even surface! It has a huge worn spot, say, about 1/2 of the entire circumference is completely worn down!

So, one might wonder that the gap may not be such a factor if the plate surface is so badly worn. Now, where can I get a new plate? AC kits? Amazon? Ebay?
pippo

Postby pippo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:23 am

pippo wrote:Thanks, Bo, especially on a Sunday! So, at about 1:15 minutes into the video it goes from showing the plate to the hex (female?) adapter shown on the plate, but did not show it screwing on. My plate has no such stud thread onto which a hex female can attach. But WOW! I went back to the car to stare at the plate and something made me grab it with my bare hands and the plate fell off with the slightest touch!!! WHAT THE HECK!!! I am HAPPY!

So now, Bo, the inner surface of the plate is not an even surface! It has a huge worn spot, say, about 1/2 of the entire circumference is completely worn down!

So, one might wonder that the gap may not be such a factor if the plate surface is so badly worn. Now I just need to get a new plate, right?
pippo

Postby pippo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:25 am

pippo wrote:
pippo wrote:Thanks, Bo, especially on a Sunday! So, at about 1:15 minutes into the video it goes from showing the plate to the hex (female?) adapter shown on the plate, but did not show it screwing on. My plate has no such stud thread onto which a hex female can attach. But WOW! I went back to the car to stare at the plate and something made me grab it with my bare hands and the plate fell off with the slightest touch!!! WHAT THE HECK!!! I am HAPPY!

So, one might wonder that the gap may not be such a factor if the plate surface is so badly worn. Now I just need to get a new plate, right?

Or should I get the whole clutch and plate assembly and do the whole thing?
pippo

Postby pippo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:44 am

And while I wait for the part to arrive can I drive the car without the plate attached or must i attach it and tighten the nut again?
pippo

Postby pippo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:45 am

So, one might wonder that the gap may not be such a factor if the plate surface is so badly worn. Now, where can Iget just a new plate?
bohica2xo

Postby bohica2xo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:49 am

Post a picture of the plate if you can.

If it is badly bent that may indicate a failure of the plate springs. Hard to say without seeing it.

You can buy a whole new clutch, but a used plate will be just fine too.

Yes you can drive it with the plate removed. The idler bearing is held on the case with a snug fit & a beefy snap ring. The clutch plate does not hold anything else on.
Noquacks

Postby Noquacks » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:39 pm

Finally got the new clutch/plate kit. Put the new plate on and went for about 0.020-0.025 gap. Had to put 3 slim washers in there for some reason. When compressor runs , plate turns and still stops/starts although seems a tad better, But what scares me is that now there is a scraping screech sound once in a while, while the plate turns. Think I need to replace the clutch too? Do I need a 3 jaw puller or can I tap from behind with hammer gently?

(didnt post any picture as I am not good at that task, sorry). I would have to get someone to help me with that picture......

Return to “Automotive Air Conditioning Forum”