Strange PSI's in AC system, no cold AC

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

pippo
Read the full article

Re: Strange PSI's in AC system, no cold AC

Post by pippo »

So many good ideas, people. Thanks! You guys are too much!! I might first try 3 metric bolts/nuts to fit those holes. I will let yous know what happens.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Ok, last one. Not the best option - but on the side of the road in Mexico in the dark...

One bolt in the plate, large screwdriver between the bolt & the socket on the nut. I was really tired of dripping sweat.
pippo

Post by pippo »

bohica2xo wrote:Ok, last one. Not the best option - but on the side of the road in Mexico in the dark...

One bolt in the plate, large screwdriver between the bolt & the socket on the nut. I was really tired of dripping sweat.
How did you know this would work for me? Thats what I did! But now the plate wont come off. I tried to gently pry it off with a screwdriver , all around, to loosen it, but afraid to maybe warp it. How do you get these off? with propane torch? Gently pound it (oxymoron?)?
pippo

Post by pippo »

OK, heat from a propane torch did not help- plate is glued on there tight. Sheesh. Hate to force it off. What now, people?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

As I mentioned you may need the puller to get it off.

It looks like the tool on the left:

The bore for the socket in the plate has internal threads. The puller threads in, and the bolt presses it off of the shaft.

The chain auto parts stores should have loaners. There are a couple of sizes, it may take two tries to actually get the right one.
pippo

Post by pippo »

bohica2xo wrote:As I mentioned you may need the puller to get it off.

The bore for the socket in the plate has internal threads. The puller threads in, and the bolt presses it off of the shaft.

The chain auto parts stores should have loaners. There are a couple of sizes, it may take two tries to actually get the right one.
So that's what that kit is for! I thought it was only to pull of the clutch itself. Guess Im going to AZ to rent it ........Thanks, Bo!
Noquacks

Post by Noquacks »

Ok, its going slow, but steady. I will be picking up this kit tomorrow, but am worried as to how to determine the 0.020 gap . I now have 0.035. So, should one expect to find "washers" inside the plate, which one can remove to get to the lower gap size? If so, can one then just tighten the plate down and expect the right gap, or is it more trial and error? (noquacks is my other name from another computer, I am same as pippo, sorry for confusion)
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

On my 1998 Frontier, last summer my AC clutch was slipping sometimes.

There were two shim washers under the drive plate, so I removed the thinner of the two, then re-installed the AC clutch drive plate and that will make the AC clutch "gap" narrower (yet not so narrow that it scrapes in the disengaged position). Fine a year later.
pippo

Post by pippo »

bohica2xo wrote:As I mentioned you may need the puller to get it off.

I rented the kit this morning early. There is no way nothing in that kit can help me remove my plate. The "bolt" on the left on your post is a male thread tip, and my plate is a splined center which beds onto a splined bolt/stud. maybe useful if a clutch plate is fastened with a bolt which when removed exposed a thread onto which your extraction "bolt" threads onto, but a honda civic has just a 14mm nut, leaving a threaded stud exposed. How do they get these plates off? What am I not understanding here?

Thanks for your continued patience with my problem. Dont know what else to do- hate to just throw on a new comp. (I am still off/on getting ice cold air).
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Here you go. First 3 minutes of that video should cover it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo