Old Chrysler A/C

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, Dougflas, HECAT

grumpy old man

Re: Old Chrysler A/C

Postby grumpy old man » Fri May 22, 2020 11:42 am

Pardon my ignorance but "barrier hoses"? Looking at the system the hoses look like the originals.

Since I replaced all the orings I did flush out the evap and condenser best I could with what I have to work with probably not perfect but better than nothing.
Al9

Postby Al9 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:36 pm

Barrier hose has an inner plastic liner.
grumpy old man

Postby grumpy old man » Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 am

I started out trying to do a favor for a friend and the more information I get the more it seems that I have stepped into a pit of quicksand.

Here is where I am presently at. I have opened up all the connections to replace the 55 year old o rings. While open I did a simple flush on the evaporator and condenser. I have not yet flushed out the compressor but that is next. I am not in any hurry because the owner lives in Australia and only uses the car when she is in town. Present situation being what it is I do not expect her to be in town anytime soon. I did get a new receiver dryer as that seemed to me to be a no brainier.

I got mentally locked into 134 because someone apparently did a conversion as there are adapters on the service valves. Last night it occurred to me that there are now R12 replacements. Would it be a better option to do a more thorough flush and go back to the R12 oil and replacement refrigerant?

Apparently R12 has a larger molecule than R134 hence the need for barrier hoses. So with a larger molecule is it easier to seal?

Obviously I am in an area where my knowledge is limited to what I can research, and researching anything it seems that there are as many opinions as there are people.
grumpy old man

Postby grumpy old man » Sat May 30, 2020 11:40 am

Just re-read my last rant and a huge apology is in order.

First it was not directed at anyone on this forum. Sometime around the 17th I went to bed feeling lousy and the next morning woke up with a temp of 102+ had that for 3 days and for obvious reasons no one would come near me. Dr finally sent me for corona testing and I had to stay confined until the test results came in. long story short having nothing else to do I curled up with my laptop and started researching the R12 R134 issue, R12 replacement R134 conversion etc...... Somewhere along the line my brain exploded and that rant was the result.

Back to the Chrysler. I did break down every connection and replace all the 55 year old o rings. While it was all apart I blew compressed air through the condenser and evaporator, got a ton of really nasty looking oil out of both. Sucked the oil out of the compressor and it came out all dark and foamy, looked sort of like a bad experiment with a German dark beer. I figured that what oil residue was left was probably inconsequential. Put 8oz of Pag 46 in the compressor.

Put the vacuum pump on for an hour and change pulled close to 30" and it held all night. Next morning put it under can pressure, no leaks that I could find so started it up and turned on the A/C. No power to the clutch. Jumpered the clutch and charged the system, works great. This thing will freeze the gonads off of a brass monkey. Tried to trace the clutch circuit but without a wiring diagram I would need to cut into all the looms to trace the wire and would rather not get that crude. Is there somewhere I can find a clutch circuit wiring diagram for this thing so maybe I can figure out what is wrong?
Dougflas

Postby Dougflas » Sun May 31, 2020 3:53 pm

You're asking me to remember a 50 yr old system? If I remember, going backwards from the compressor there is a temp control switch probably controlled by vacuum. Sorry, this is too old for my mind.
Al9

Postby Al9 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:15 am

grumpy old man wrote:Sucked the oil out of the compressor and it came out all dark and foamy, looked sort of like a bad experiment with a German dark beer.

Likely had Ester oil inside. Especially if that oil liked to stick to anything metal. Esters are excellent solvents for any crud.

Return to “Automotive Air Conditioning Forum”