No cool at idle and smoke

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

azlincoln79
Read the full article

No cool at idle and smoke

Post by azlincoln79 »

I have a 2003 F350 with a gas engine. Last weekend I put in a new compressor dryer and new hose. I put in 3 oz of oil in the the compressor. It came with 3oz in the compressor and I added 3 oz to the dryer. vacuum down and put in 42 oz of freon. I used a flush gun on the evaporator and the condenser. The problem is it does not cool well when at idle. Then today while idling for 45 minutes something started to smoke. Smoke was pouring out from under the hood.
Shut it off and can not see a problem. It did It 2 more times in the next half hour so we shut the air off. At one point I could here the compressor cycling.
Drove it for about an hour at normal driving and the ac was fine
ice-n-tropics

Re: No cool at idle and smoke

Post by ice-n-tropics »

Probably oil and refrigerant release onto exhaust manifold from PRV pressure relief valva due to overcharge of oil and/or refrigerant.
hotrodac
azlincoln79

Post by azlincoln79 »

That makes sense that the pressure relief valve is venting. Maybe I read it wrong but the sticker on under the hood says 9 oz of oil and 2 pounds 10 oz of Freon. I put in 3 cans and I put the last can on a scale to get the last 6 oz.
azlincoln79

Post by azlincoln79 »

okay well driving it today it blew the pressure valve 3 different times and now it not blowing cool at all
There was a lot of metal on the old orifice tube when I replaced it. Could the condenser be plugged?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

The condenser is the primary filter on that system. If the shredded compressor made it all the way to the OT, then the condenser is done.

Parallel pathways and small passages make it nearly impossible to flush modern condensers.

you need to start over, with a new condenser. The OT will be full of trash again too.

You mentioned a flush gun. Any remaining flushing agent will slowly destroy the system from within. It is vital to get ALL of the flushing agent back out of a system if you use it.

When you open the system to repair it this time, observe the odor of the OT. If you can smell whatever you flushed the system with, the oil in the system is contaminated with your flushing agent.
azlincoln79

Post by azlincoln79 »

Thanks I have a new condenser and a drier and ot. I need to flush the evaporator and the lines. I plan on draining all the oil out of the cop. How can I flush the comp?
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

You can only flush the compressor by filling and dumping the oil a few times.
azlincoln79

Post by azlincoln79 »

ok thanks
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Dougflas wrote:You can only flush the compressor by filling and dumping the oil a few times.
And turning the compressor through like 10 revolutions by hand or with a wrench, then dump.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Here is how you flush the compressor:

https://www.autoacforum.com/messageview ... adid=12050