Auto A/C dryers

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, Dougflas, HECAT

TopDown

Auto A/C dryers

Postby TopDown » Sat May 02, 2020 5:50 pm

I have a Honda S2000 with an original dryer I need to replace due to some work I’m having done. The original Honda dryers runs about 95-100 dollars new and I was wondering who makes the best after market dryer I can get to same some money or should I get the original? Advance auto has the carquest for 18.00 and Napa is also about 19-20.00.
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Auto A/C dryers

Postby Tim » Sat May 02, 2020 7:33 pm

Just an aftermarket drier is all. Some better than others depending on the importer. Is OEM worth 90.00?

https://ackits.net/product/17-0121/
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.
P:602-233-0090
Al9

Postby Al9 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:54 am

I've had to replace dryers twice on my car so had the chance to cut them open with a hacksaw (so that i could also judge what oil viscosity my system really had inside).

Well in my case OEM looks completely different from aftermarket. Aftermarket is obviously a lot cheaper. I have pictures in case you want them.

Basically, the OEM dryer has the desiccant packed between two metal "sieves", both of them covered with a felt pad. A "riser tube" runs axially and brings (hopefully) liquid refrigerant and oil upwards from the condenser and through the desiccant and the felt pads. The Taiwanese made aftermarket dryer is slightly smaller diameter than the OEM and the desiccant is packed inside a "sock" attached to the "riser tube" by means of a... plastic ziptie. Good thing is that it has a fine metal mesh (thankfully enough shiny clean in my case) located on the output hole, which the OEM dryer lacks (likely because the felt pads act as filters).

Bottom line, OEM is likely more expensive for a reason.
Last edited by Al9 on Tue May 05, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
bohica2xo

Postby bohica2xo » Tue May 05, 2020 9:21 am

Ah, the old "sample size of ONE" and the internet spreading of same.

A single cheap part sold in whatever country A19 is in - and "aftermarket bad".

Honda parts are good parts. That does NOT however make any non-honda part "bad" OEM parts from any manufacturer generally cost more, because of many factors.

Return to “Automotive Air Conditioning Forum”